Harddisk failed, replaced but empty disk after rebuild

Running Unraid 5.0.5

Disk18 was redballing, I tried to rebuild with the same disk, this failed, I think somewhere in the process it asked me to format a drive  . can't remember new or old one. the rebuild failed on the old drive. After rebuild attempt with same old hdd I replaced the old hdd with a new one.

Did a reiserfs check on the new drive, no reported errors.

I also manually tried to mount new disk18, no files on the hdd

Running testdisk on the old hdd can't find partition.

Any suggestions?

syslog-20150503-113740.zip

A reformat should not happen during a rebuild process.  Doing a reformat will write a new file system that has the effect of wiping all the data on the drive.

It I possible that you might recover data by putting the array into maintenance mode and running from a console/telnet session a command of the form:

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree --scan-whole-partition /dev/md??

where ?? corresponds to the disk number that is to be processed.  If this completes then you may get back much of the data, but it since it will include many deleted files and/or file fragments it can take some sorting out afterwards.

Note that this command is likely to take a long time to complete and if you are using a telnet session you must not close the Window while it is running or the command is aborted.  You can obviate this issue by running the command under 'screen'

Do you have backups?

Formatting a drive is NEVER part of the rebuild process. With some types of corruption, a drive might appear to be unformatted and unRAID might offer to format the drive, but you should never format a drive during a rebuild.

Without a clearer idea of exactly what happened I don't know if your data can be recovered. It is possible that the old drive or even the rebuilt new drive could still have some traces of your files that might allow recovery with reiserfsck.

You say reiserfs check reported no errors on the new disk. Exactly what was the command you used?

How did you run testdisk (what is testdisk) on the old hdd?

In that scenario, I think the option to format would only present itself in 2 cases:

- when you add the new disk in an 'unassigned' slot of the array (essentially adding the number of disk to the array)

- change the filesystem of the drive

Unless.. the drive that belongs to the array was taken off the array and mounted by itself, would that void the drive?

In that case, you shouldn't format the drive when you tried to put it back to the array.

edit: oops, filesystem change is not an option in v5 yet.

I think in unRAID 5 any drive that is unmountable is considered unformatted. So, a problem that prevents the drive from mounting would make unRAID allow you to format it. Sometimes an unmountable drive can have recoverable data if you don't format it.

A reformat should not happen during a rebuild process.  Doing a reformat will write a new file system that has the effect of wiping all the data on the drive.

It I possible that you might recover data by putting the array into maintenance mode and running from a console/telnet session a command of the form:

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree --scan-whole-partition /dev/md??

where ?? corresponds to the disk number that is to be processed.  If this completes then you may get back much of the data, but it since it will include many deleted files and/or file fragments it can take some sorting out afterwards.

Note that this command is likely to take a long time to complete and if you are using a telnet session you must not close the Window while it is running or the command is aborted.  You can obviate this issue by running the command under 'screen'

Got 99% of my files back, took a bit of time sorting thru weird folder names after the recovery, 120 mkv files were verified (torrent) and in working order. For some reason the flaky disk gave me option to format, been 3 years since my last disk failure, was rusty and confused with the process.  Thanks for the help and suggestions

Archived