Moving drives from old to new server

I have a new unraid server running 6, and an old one running 5.

My new server currently just has a single 4tb data drive, and a 500gb cache.  I dont care about saving parity, or plugins, since I am switching to using Docker. Just transferring the data from the old to the new server, then having sick / couch sort through them again.

If I simply put the old drives in the new server, select my old parity as the parity drive in the new server, will that work?  what about shares that are named the same, will there be any conflict?

How big is your old parity drive? Parity must be as large or larger than any single data drive.

Assuming your old parity is at least 4TB, then you can just shutdown the new server, put in the old drives, do New Config and assign all the drives, then start and let parity rebuild. Make very sure you assign the correct drive to parity. If you accidentally assign a data drive to parity then unRAID will write parity to it. Not good.

Any folder at the top level of cache or an array drive is automatically a user share with the same name as the folder. Any top level folders (shares) on the old drives that have the same name as top level folders (shares) on new drives will be part of the same share.

Note that none of your configuration for shares and other webGUI settings will transfer from the old server merely by transferring the drives, since those are all stored on the flash.

Archived