We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Faster searches (indexing)?

Rajahal

I have noticed that when searching the entire unRAID server or a user share (movies, music, etc.) from Windows Vista x64, the searches are extremely slow, to the point where I usually give up and find the file manually.  Vista keeps telling me something like 'network locations are not indexed, therefore searches are slower'.  Is there some way to make Vista index the whole unRAID server and thereby search it faster?

....not sure this is in the right forum...please move it if you see fit...

You might try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918996  It points to a plug-in for your windows PC.

It adds the ability to index a network share to your PC.  It is an add-on supplied by Microsoft for their 32 bit OS's. (sorry, 64bit OS uses need to look elsewhere)

Be forewarned, it will spin up drives as it does its indexing... so you might still want to add the cache_dirs script as described in the previous post.

• 5 months later...

google desktop is awesome and supports network shares.  check it out...

http://desktop.google.com/features.html

"You can choose from these features during installation:

Desktop search

• Search your computer as easily as you search the web with Google

• Find and launch applications and files with just a few keystrokes

Sidebar with gadgets

• Add Google Gadgets to customize your desktop and iGoogle

• Get news, weather and more anywhere on your desktop"

I don't use the sidebar gadget stuff but the search is tops.  It is multiplatform but I use it on Vista now and xp in the past.

I don't think it'll help media center indexes but for finding stuff yourself definitely check it out.

It'll index filenames and contents for any format it knows.  It is extensible through plugins for formats it doesn't know.

Good luck.

Archived