data drive went down during parity drive upgrade!!!

I originally posted this in the UNRAID 6 forums on accident.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41108.0

Originally my system consisted of a 3TB parity drive and 4 2TB  data drives running on UNRAID 5.0.4.  I was upgrading the parity drive with a 5TB with the plans of adding the old parity drive in as a new data drive.  In the middle of the parity sync after putting in the 5TB drive data disk 4 started giving read errors.  Now it is showing the red ball in front of it and if the array starts it says it is unformatted.  The new parity drive never completed the parity sync, I still have the old parity drive from approx 30 hrs ago and I know a few file changes have been made in that time, but I am willing to loose those if need be.  I need help on what I need to do.  I am adding a screen shot of my array config page.  I don't like that it says configuration valid even with the red by drive 4, if i choose no device for drive 4 it still says config valid?

Thanks

unraid_Medium.jpg.a2bb29633a59044d26d31417f3f3d5bb.jpg

syslog.zip

smart.txt

I think the way forward here is going to be reiserfsck. However, it seems like neither parity drive is going to work. The old parity is possibly missing writes to other drives, and the new parity is incomplete.

Normally, you would run reiserfsck against the md device, in this case, md4. But since we don't have any parity to preserve maybe it should be done on the sd device. According to your screenshot, disk4 is sdf. Is that still correct?

It should probably be OK to do just the reiserfsck --check on sdf since that won't really make any changes and then we can decide where to go from there.

Before doing anything wait and see if we get some other opinions.

Do you have backups?

Unfortunately I do not have backups of the data, just my cache drive and flash drive.  And yes it looks like disk 4 is sdf.

Do not forget that if running against the raw device then you need to include the partition number as well (e.g. sdf1) or you will get an error message about a missing superblock.

trurl,

I really appreciate the time you are putting into this, do you think I should wait longer and see if anyone else puts some input into this or should I move forward?

Thanks again,

Jeremey

It brings it up in maintenance mode, but still with drive 4 red balled, I am still confused by it saying configuration valid even with that drive red balled, and it bringing up the array, even with that drive red balled.  when this first happened, and I went to shut it down to check cabling, I believe that auto start the array was enabled, I had went to disable it but forgot to hit apply is the only thing I can figure out.  If that is the case is there anything that might need to be restored from the config directory on my flash drive backups maybe?

I wonder if it is really the disabled disk that it thinks is unformatted, but the disk is actually OK.

Since the disk is redballed unRAID is not really trying to use it, but instead simulating it from parity and the other drives. Maybe the simulated disk appears unformatted because of some other problem, such as the incomplete parity build.

You might try a New Config without assigning parity just to see if all of the data drives will mount.

Wish somebody else would chime in with some advice.

Well, I'll have to wait until the file system check is completed to see, but if I change disk 4 from slot 4 to slot 5 it gives me a weird message, but I don't remember what it was for sure.  With the array started in maintenance mode the way it is, it does not show disk four on the stats page, but shows the three other drives as 100% full, which they are not.  Don't know if this is helpful.

Will try to help.

When you start the array, disk4 is redballed and unformatted, and disks 1-3 are accessible and normal? Disk1-3 contents are good.

Please confirm and proceed only if true. (If not, maybe a screenshot of the main screen with array started would help.)

It is quite possible, if parity if messed up, that the simulated disk4 could be corrupted, whereas the physical disk4, which unRAID will not mount, is fine. The clean reisefsck implies this to be the case. (Good news!)

I would suggest mounting disk4 somehow. One of the easiest ways is to boot on a different flash in trial mode (need 5.0 or a pre-beta15 6.0 version) and just assign it and it alone to a new array as disk1 (careful not to put in the parity slot!!). If it mounts and you can see the contents, and if the disks 1-3 looked fine (see above) - I would suggest going back to your regular boot stick, do a new config, assign parity and disks 1-4, and let parity build.

Note that red-balls are most often associated with cabling problems. If you feel that the cabling is bad, I would endeavor to get it straightened out. If you read my posts, I heartily recommend drive cages as once they are wired and the case closed, you can freely add or replace disks without risk to the cabling of your hand trying to remove and add another disk. It saves you all sorts of stress and time diagnosing these kinds of problems. You might consider it.

so you want me to start the array in non maintenance mode and see if drives 1-3 are accessible?  And yes, hot swap cages are now in the near future : ).  I had not even considered the fact that you would not be messing with cables to be a selling point for them.  If you confirm yes start the array up normally, I will and than take a screen shot of it started also.

yes, if I mount the array normally, disks 1-3 are available normally, as in I can access them through samba as disk 1-3, not as a whole disk, if that makes any since.  I have also attached a screenshot of the homescreen of the system when mounted as such.

unraid.jpg.dfdb485b0b1f3bff2db87943185a13e7.jpg

It brings it up in maintenance mode, but still with drive 4 red balled, I am still confused by it saying configuration valid even with that drive red balled, and it bringing up the array, even with that drive red balled.  when this first happened, and I went to shut it down to check cabling, I believe that auto start the array was enabled, I had went to disable it but forgot to hit apply is the only thing I can figure out.  If that is the case is there anything that might need to be restored from the config directory on my flash drive backups maybe?

Once a drive has been red-balled then unRAID will stop writing to the physical drive and will emulate it using parity plus the other data drives.  The drive will stay red-balled until it has been rebuilt/replaced.

Archived