** Plex Hacked **

danioj

Thanks for the heads up,  I got the email last night.  If I read it correctly it was just the forums.??

“I can confirm the server which hosts our forum and blog was compromised. After investigating, all evidence points to it being limited to this server.

Doesn't sound too certain or Reassuring to me. I'd say they don't know full extent yet.

Doesn't sound too certain or Reassuring to me. I'd say they don't know full extent yet.

I checked my main Plex account and Plex has surprisingly little information about me.  And since they don't house any of our data, I'd say overall there is very little risk.  Just change your password and you should be fine.  I'd only be concerned if you PM'd somebody something confidential using their forum.

They likely have your registered email address as well as your plex forum password, so it's important you never reuse passwords anywhere, especially for your email account.

The likely value in this hack is in having yet another large password list to feed into site cracker programs, like the earlier hacked sites like LinkedIn.

This is the email I received from Plex:

Plex

IMPORTANT SECURITY NOTICE

Dear Plex User,

Sadly, we became aware this afternoon that the server which hosts our forums and blog was compromised. We are still investigating, but as far as we know, the attacker only gained access to these parts of our systems. Rest assured that credit card and other payment data are not stored on our servers at all.

If you are receiving this email, you have a forum account which is linked to a plex.tv account. The attacker was able to gain access to IP addresses, private messages, email addresses and encrypted forum passwords (in technical terms, they are hashed and salted). Despite the password encryption measures, we take your privacy and security very seriously, so as a precaution, we're requiring that you change your password.

Be sure to choose a strong password, never share it, and never re-use passwords for different accounts! Even better, use a password manager (1Password, for example) to manage a unique password for you. Access to your Plex account will be blocked until you do so.

Please follow this link to choose a new password.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, but both your privacy and security are very important to us and we'd rather be safe than sorry!

We will post more detailed information on our blog shortly. Thanks for using Plex!

The Plex Team