OS X Yosemite: SMB shares blank after sleep. UnRAID or OS X?

almarma

Hi everybody!

I'm facing an issue since I begun using unRAID. I always thought it was OS X fail, but now I'm wondering if it could be related with unRAID.

The problem is that, if I connect to my server using Finder, to any SMB folder, it works fine, and I can navigate and read or write without problems. But if I put the Mac to sleep, very often, after the wake up, I get the beachball for something like 3 or 4 minutes until it's responsive again. Also, when I'm out from my office with my Mac, so there's no LAN available, I get this beachball for minutes (that's why I always suspected about OS X). Sometimes, instead of the beachball, I get an empty folder, with a spinning ring at the right bottom corner of the Finder window, which never stops.

Also, OS X console is reporting constant issues when I try to access the network shares:

3/7/15 14:09:29,832 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:29,834 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:29,836 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:29,837 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:29,838 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:29,839 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:41,337 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:41,338 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 14:09:41,339 Finder[2031]: ERROR: Could not determine file type of (null)
3/7/15 16:09:16,663 WindowServer[1973]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
3/7/15 16:09:17,776 WindowServer[1973]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 2.11 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

(The two last ones are later messages, but they come also quite often, and they seem to say that Finder has small 'freezings' from time to time.)

Does anybody has any clue/experience with this problem, and point me in any direction to see where the problem could be? I've never rebooted my Mac so often as since the last months with Yosemite and unRAID. I use the network almost daily for backups and files synchronization, and it's affecting my job and my stress level more and more :(.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I think I found the problem, and it was maybe inside UnRAID settings. I need to do some more testing to confirm it, but I suspect it's related to "Local Master" setting, inside SMB preferences. When I installed unRAID for the first time, I just enabled it thinking it could be useful because of the name, but don't really knowing what it was doing. The other day, checking all preferences to see if something could be wrong, I researched about it, and it seems to be really unnecessary in a local environment, so I disabled it, and since then it seems to be working fine.

Thanks! I think I found the problem, and it was maybe inside UnRAID settings. I need to do some more testing to confirm it, but I suspect it's related to "Local Master" setting, inside SMB preferences. When I installed unRAID for the first time, I just enabled it thinking it could be useful because of the name, but don't really knowing what it was doing. The other day, checking all preferences to see if something could be wrong, I researched about it, and it seems to be really unnecessary in a local environment, so I disabled it, and since then it seems to be working fine.

I think that changing that setting fixing the issue was just a coincidence.

The problem occurs when more than one machine on the local network can be a Local Master and thinks it is the current Local Master. In such a case it depends on what machine a client tries to use as the Local Master as one of them may not know about the unRAID server.  The Microsoft protocol for resolving this is not very robust (or fast), so the reason for recommending that the unRAID server is the Local Master is that it is rarely switched off it tends to get that role for all client machines.

I think that changing that setting fixing the issue was just a coincidence.

The problem occurs when more than one machine on the local network can be a Local Master and thinks it is the current Local Master.

Hi! Thanks for your answer. Yes, maybe, because I have another computer (a Mac Mini) with OS X Server installed, and while nothing is really enabled there (I used it as a file server before I built the unRAID server), maybe it also has that feature (Local master) enabled.

Archived