can you use Real VNC to access VMs you've created?

jang430

I just installed Elementary OS on my unraid machine.  Can you use Real VNC to access the vm?  I tried xxx.xxx.x.x:5700 (the IP Address of the server, plus the port that I see when I use VNC remote.  I just feel that using a client might be smoother than using a browser.  But, I cannot connect to it using the method above.  Any ideas?

I just installed Elementary OS on my unraid machine.  Can you use Real VNC to access the vm?  I tried xxx.xxx.x.x:5700 (the IP Address of the server, plus the port that I see when I use VNC remote.  I just feel that using a client might be smoother than using a browser.  But, I cannot connect to it using the method above.  Any ideas?

If you are going to use a separate client such as RealVNC then you should be using the port in the 5900 range (as displayed in the unRAID GUI), not the 5700 range used by VNC Remote.  I assume the difference is due to the fact that VNC Remote is browser based (and thus needs some sort of translation between VNC and HTTP protocol) and RealVNC is more direct.

Thanks itimpi, will give this a try.

I had issues with RealVNC and one other VNC Variant (can't remember which now) on OS X Yosemite. None would connect. Then I tried TurboVNC. Worked great.

Going slightly off topic (ish) keep reading if you're interested in a vnc alternative.

After watching Jonp's web cast I installed RDP Client (MICROSOFT REMOTE DESKTOP FOR MAC OS X - Version 8.0.18 (Build 26163)) and with the way it integrates into OSX's spaces I can swipe to the right and suddenly I am using Windows 10 or Ubuntu 15.04* or of course OSX. The performance is so good its crazy.

*Note: to use xrdp on Ubuntu you need to force it to use an alternative desktop environment as xrdp is not working with the default Ubuntu desktop environment. I use Mate.

http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=7984

VNC, be it for via web client for installation or for configuration is great. However, the way RDP performs vs VNC is like chalk and cheese. Haven't opened the VNC client since the webcast. No turning back for me, awesome. Check it out.

Hi danioj,

Thank you for sharing. I am using osx, with rdp on my windows machine,  and I do exactly use swipe left,  swipe right to move from 1 desktop to the other. It's so convenient on a mac.

I didn't know that rdp from Microsoft can work with other OS. Now I know. . Thanks.

But at the same time,  I use another pc desktop.  That is where I need my vnc. I prefer using clients than browser since I feel anything client based is faster. But you may be right about the variant. I will try using turbo vnc and see how it goes.

Archived