We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

sophos utm as vm, can it act as gateway?

jang430

Sophos gives it's utm for free for home users.  I am currently using unraid 6.  VM function works beautifully.  As of the moment, I have a separate box that acts as my sophos utm.  I can easily setup sophos utm as a vm.  If it resides in unraid, can it possibly act as a gateway?  Meaning, internet connections are being configured there.  Can unraid act as if it's behind the sophos utm? 

• 2 months later...

I'm considering setting this up as a VM as well but have some of the same questions as you.  Have you given it a test run or anything?  I'd rather not shell out the money for a separate system right now for the UTM, but I will if it cannot be configured such that unraid will sit behind it while Sophos runs as a VM.

Hello sureguy, thanks for the input.  What do you mean by unraid having static IP?  Static internal IP?  I believe this can be done.  What about Sophos UTM?  Can it be a VM on the VMs page? 

Can anyone give a slightly more detailed instruction on how the VM boots first (sophos utm) rather than unraid?  I thought It's the unraid that allows us to have vm containers?  And in this case, sophos utm only acts as one of the VMs.

plupien79, does it mean intel vt-d or amd-vi is required?  My Unraid box doesn't support iommu, as far as I know.

To further understand this, I thought it's the unraid interface (with VM Manager enabled) that allows the unraid machine to act sort of like a baremetal hypervisor.  With NIC passthrough, how can it be that the firewall vm (sophos home utm) boots first before it presents unraid as one if it's connected clients?

What do you mean by switch to a single cpu? 

Thanks for the help.

You would need to follow the guide sticked on this page to pass the WAN nic to the VM... it's not for the faint at heart. You'll also want to ask yourself if you trust the setup to have the Internet connect directly to your unraid box.

When creating/editing a VM you can set how many CPUs that the VM will have access to.

plupien79, noted on the NIC.  Will read the Stickies here.

smdion, so does it mean when unraid webgui doesn't boot, you can't get internet either?

Well if you need to reboot unraid or change a drive or anything that stops the array, you need to shutdown your VMs (and down goes your router)

Archived