Way to change the network settings without doing a reinstall?

Moved from my network to a friends network he has a 192.168.1.* network and i had a 192.168.167.* network any way i can change the settings in the .cfg and restart everything without having to do a full reinstall?

Not sure I understand the question...

If you can get to the web-interface, you can change it on the "Settings" page.

If you hard-coded the IP address in the config, and you cannot get to the server on the network, you can edit the config/network.cfg file on the flash drive on your PC and then put it back in the unRAID server and reboot.

If you just reboot, without shutting the server down cleanly, it will want to do a full parity check. 

If you can log in via the system console, you can type

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

to re-start the LAN with the new information from the config/network.cfg without having to reboot. (after editing the network.cfg file)

The config/network.cfg file contents will look like this:

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP=no

IPADDR=192.168.1.100

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

DNS_SERVER1=192.168.1.1

DNS_SERVER2=

DNS_SERVER3=

Of course, if you had USE_DHCP=yes then it would get an IP address from the router, and all the other fields would be ignored.

Joe L.

I think that the two networks had different IP ranges, and he's already made the move, he cannot get to the settings page.

Gizim if that's the case, you may need to temporarily change the IP settings on your router, or try //tower, or whatever you called the unRAID box.

If you cannot access the machine over the network, cannot use the console, or are unfamiliar with linux,  You can take the flash, mount it on your windows machine.

Edit a file in the config directory called network.cfg

You will need to use a program that can handle Unix end of lines such as notepad++

If you cannot access the machine over the network, cannot use the console, or are unfamiliar with linux,  You can take the flash, mount it on your windows machine.

Edit a file in the config directory called network.cfg

You will need to use a program that can handle Unix end of lines such as notepad++

It does not matter what editor you use for the config/network.cfg file.  It is passed through "fromdos" as it is interpreted by the networking start-up code in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf . 

The lines from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf that do it are:

# Config information for eth0:
# tmm - Read settings from config file:
fromdos </boot/config/network.cfg >/var/tmp/network.cfg
source /var/tmp/network.cfg

I have a similar issue. When installing a new NIC into my unRAID server, the MAC address doesnt change, therefore cannot use WOL.

Was curious as to how to regenerate the network information file, as just deleting the network.cfg file resulted in a non bootable server.

Thanks

I have a similar issue. When installing a new NIC into my unRAID server, the MAC address doesnt change, therefore cannot use WOL.

Was curious as to how to regenerate the network information file, as just deleting the network.cfg file resulted in a non bootable server.

Thanks

You must either change the file by in an editor on your PC in the config folder to have the correct IP address, or, you can change the line

USE_DHCP=no

to be

USE_DHCP=yes

and let unRAID get a IP address from your router.

Delete the line with the MAC address in the config/network.cfg file, otherwise, it will override the true hardware MAC address, and, as you said, the WOL packet will not be recognized.

The line that needs to be removed looks like this:

HWADDR=00:NN:NN:NN:NN:NN

Archived