Will upgrading controller help my parity check speeds

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had an impulsive week here:

Sale came by.  The AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 was 10% off (never seen it on sale) so between that and selling the old one on Ebay, this should net a $55 ish upgrade.

500 GB SSD also went on sale 15% off, so that is here now too. 

I'll swap the drive tonight and a new parity check will be run tomorrow night anyway, so we'll see.  I'm expecting some improvement, but based on the testing I'm thinking the real improvement will come when I do the MB / CPU anyway.  I'll be posting a thread about planning for that one too.

I haven't swapped drives yet, just changed the card, installed the new drive but not swapped in the array. 

Parity check is running 40MB/Sec for 2 hours now...  going to watch through 500 GB and see what happens, but this doesnt make any sense.  i've seen them start slow but not for this long.

I'm afraid there's an issue with Unraid v6 and the SAS2LP (still present in latest beta, currently v6.1rc6) that causes parity check to be slow, depending on your hardware anything from about 25Mb/s to best case about 90Mb/s, most common is 40 to 70Mb/s.

I have two SAS2LP that I was using in two different servers, with speeds of about 60 to 70Mb/s, until this is fixed I reverted back to the SASLP together with an older 4 port Adaptec 1430SA, each with 4 drives, speed went to 135-150b/s at the beginning of a parity check for both servers.

You can read more about this problem here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39125.msg386462#msg386462

I don’t know if the problem is Unraid or the Linux driver used in V6, but during my tests I found two things that can minimize the issue, keep the card in top most slot, normally the graphics card slot, and connect all the disks in order to the SAS2LP, I had better results connecting parity to port 0, disk 1 to port 1 and so on, remaining disks on mb ports, still parity check never went above 80Mb/s.

I'm afraid there's an issue with Unraid v6 and the SAS2LP (still present in latest beta, currently v6.1rc6) that causes parity check to be slow, depending on your hardware anything from about 25Mb/s to best case about 90Mb/s, most common is 40 to 70Mb/s.

I have two SAS2LP that I was using in two different servers, with speeds of about 60 to 70Mb/s, until this is fixed I reverted back to the SASLP together with an older 4 port Adaptec 1430SA, each with 4 drives, speed went to 135-150b/s at the beginning of a parity check for both servers.

You can read more about this problem here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39125.msg386462#msg386462

I don’t know if the problem is Unraid or the Linux driver used in V6, but during my tests I found two things that can minimize the issue, keep the card in top most slot, normally the graphics card slot, and connect all the disks in order to the SAS2LP, I had better results connecting parity to port 0, disk 1 to port 1 and so on, remaining disks on mb ports, still parity check never went above 80Mb/s.

WONDERFUL  ((use very sarcastic tone))   

Thanks for the info, saves me a lot of chasing down.  I'll swap cards back later today.  I thought this was interesting.  See the two photos, they show a snapshot of my CPU and disk speed during a parity check.

Storage.JPG.5bf6969327556434a3158d2ae62ce8e2.JPG

CPU.JPG.76863d86bf06ac7ce7102365cc64ad57.JPG