RB-1200 Upgrade

timz

So I want to upgrade my old RB-1200 server that is having problems right now. This is a server that Tom used to sell on his website. It is a micro atx case with 12 drives.  The old motherboard is a:

ASUS P5LD2-VM micro atx    (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131545&cm_re=asus_p5ld2-vm-_-13-131-545-_-Product)

My plan is to upgrade to a:

Motherboard:

Supermicro X10SL7-F uATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard

http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-X10SL7-F-uATX-DDR3-Motherboard/dp/B00D65EHQY

Processor:

Intel Xeon Processor

Here is my final build I am thinking of:

MB

Supermicro X10SL7-F uATX

CPU  (not sure which is better)

Intel Xeon Processor E3-1231V3B 3.4 4 LGA 1150

--or--

Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 Haswell, 3.3GHz, 8MB L3 Cache

Memory

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L-1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM Server Memory

PSU

Corsair HX750i High Performance Power Supply

CPU Fan

Cooler Master Hyper T4 CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes RR-T4-18PK-R1

Concerns:

Not sure how to pick the right cpu.

Will this psu work on this mobo and will it support the 3 drive quick install enclosures I have (they both use the old style EIDE power supply connector)?

Is it a good idea to keep the hard drive enclosures (they are over 5 years old but work great)

Thanks garycase,,,the only thing I am stuck on is getting a power supply that supports this motherboard -AND- has the old EIDE 4 pin power supplies for my drive cages....the new power supplies do not have the 4 pins...any ideas?

Thanks Mr-Hexen...i see that now after I looked closer at the new egg website which seems to have a little more detail.  Can you tell if this will connect to the board I am looking at? Also, should I be concerned it is only single rail?

Archived