We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Convert virtualbox vdi to kvm raw machine

JonathanM

I'm currently in the process of migrating a daily use windows 7 virtualbox machine that's been running on unraid for a year or so to a kvm machine. Would there be any interest in a writeup on the steps I used and the issues I've worked through? I don't have a good feel for how many people would be attempting the same transition, so I don't want to go through the time of doing a writeup if nobody cares.

I'd be interested. I'm in the process of converting a parallels vm that I syspreped. Except I'm trying to change the vdisk type from ide to virtio but the webgui always adds the address line.

so I've installed the drivers as per the guide and changed ide to virtio and hda to vda and removed the line:

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>

But it tends to always return after I edit the xml and save, which causes BSOD. Not sure you encountered similar.

I'd be interested. I'm in the process of converting a parallels vm that I syspreped. Except I'm trying to change the vdisk type from ide to virtio but the webgui always adds the address line.

so I've installed the drivers as per the guide and changed ide to virtio and hda to vda and removed the line:

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>

But it tends to always return after I edit the xml and save, which causes BSOD. Not sure you encountered similar.

Not sure why adding that line is causing issues, unless the viostor driver didn't get fully loaded. I used the "Add legacy hardware" option to force the full install of the viostor driver. That added a scsi device in an error condition, which i removed but didn't check the option to uninstall the driver. I shut down, then reverted the xml back to template stock with the viostor and address line back in, and when I restarted the VM it used the viostor driver just fine.

Archived