We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[Solved] Disk share automatically show up in in VM now?

opentoe

I'm using a VM for Crashplan. I have this in my XML file:

<filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>

<source dir='/mnt/'/>

<target dir='unraidshares'/>

And I have this in my fstab file in the VM:

unraidshares /mnt 9p trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,auto,nobootwait,rw 0 0

When I load up the VM I view the root MNT folder and all my disk shares show up there now and none of them are set to export. I still see all my usershares.

sharesinvm.jpg.150672ddc6870796b202a10f2977b010.jpg

I think there was supposed to be a question in there somewhere and I think the question is "why can I see my individual disks when I am not exporting them?"

The answer is that you are not seeing disk "shares" at all.  Virtfs mounts do not use a network protocol like SMB or NFS to communicate with unRAID.  The closest comparison to this is volume mappings with docker.  Things are working as expected and by design.  If you don't want to see disk shares at all in your VM (just user shares), instead of /mnt for the mapping, do /mnt/user.

Make sense?

I think there was supposed to be a question in there somewhere and I think the question is "why can I see my individual disks when I am not exporting them?"

The answer is that you are not seeing disk "shares" at all.  Virtfs mounts do not use a network protocol like SMB or NFS to communicate with unRAID.  The closest comparison to this is volume mappings with docker.  Things are working as expected and by design.  If you don't want to see disk shares at all in your VM (just user shares), instead of /mnt for the mapping, do /mnt/user.

Make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you.

Archived