Have cache-only shares always shown up under "user" share directory?

kaiguy

I like to keep my cache drive clean, so I have created directories on my cache for my appdata (.appdata) and docker (.docker) folders.  Today, I realized that I have .appdata and .docker directories within my user share directory.  I don't recall this in the past.  I have not actually created any cache-only user shares, just created the directories with the leading dot like I have in previous versions of unRAID.

I guess I'm just curious if this is by design.  Longtime user, but this one was strange for me.

Thanks!

I like to keep my cache drive clean, so I have created directories on my cache for my appdata (.appdata) and docker (.docker) folders.  Today, I realized that I have .appdata and .docker directories within my user share directory.  I don't recall this in the past.  I have not actually created any cache-only user shares, just created the directories with the leading dot like I have in previous versions of unRAID.

I guess I'm just curious if this is by design.  Longtime user, but this one was strange for me.

Thanks!

Whether a share is cache-only or not, it is still a share.  If you disable shares entirely (Settings -> Global Share Settings), then this will not happen.  If shares are enabled, then any top-level directories on a device will be presented as a user share, although hidden directories (like yours) won't be exposed over network file sharing protocols.  Make sense?

I assume you have upgraded to a v6.1-rc?  Read the v6.1-rc1 announcement post, look for 'hidden objects', then read about the new setting in the v6.1-rc2 post.

Thanks, RobJ.  I recall reading about the toggle for SMB shares, but I guess I missed the other part.  So many changes to keep track of in these RCs.

Archived