Solved - Poor write performance - Even to SSD cache drive

bwperez

Solution:  When all else fails try copying files from a different PC.  It appears my issues were with the PC I was using to copy files from.  I tried another PC and I'm getting 44MB/s write speeds.  My Unraid server was not the issue.

I'm stumped.  I recently had a drive get marked disabled and I replaced the drive with a new one and it rebuilt successfully.  I then ran a parity check and disabled write corrections.  Everything checked out fine.  Once done I added another drive that passed 2 preclear runs and expanded the array.  Everything again appeared to be fine.

Now the strange part.  Write speeds have dropped to 3MB/s.  I was getting 40MB/s+ before the original drive got marked disabled. 

My original configuration had the cache and parity drives on the motherboard SATA port and the 6 data drives on an IBM M1015 with RES2SV240 port expander.  I've since tried taking the RES2SV240 expander out of the configuration and moved the parity drive directly to the the IBM M1015.  The speeds are still less than 3MB/s.  I've also tried copying files directly to the cache drive (still on the MB SATA) and speeds are the same.  To see if this was network related I tried copying files off the unraid server and I'm getting 70MB/s.

What can I do to diagnose the problem further?

Brian

Archived