~500 Build w/o Storage - Use to serve Full Blu ray rips, Sabnzb, Sickbeard, Torr

lakerk

Hi,

What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.

I have a Nvidia Shield TV that I will be streaming to in Kodi. Preferably full-size Blu-ray Rips. The Nvidia can handle it via direct play on Kodi. I would also like to run sickbeard/sabnzb and seed torrents.

What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?

500 bucks (without storage). If you could show me how much better/more expandable/etc it could be, I could go a bit above.

What, exactly, do you need included in the budget?

Going to be running it headless. So just the case, mobo, power supply, RAM etc.

Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?

*Southern California. I have access to a microcenter.

If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.

Nothing really to reuse.

UNRAID. Looking for a minimum of 6-7 SATA ports on the mobo and case, but ideally would be even higher ++ so that this could last for 5-10 years.

get a 9 series intel mb (with 6 sata3 slots), like a ASRock H97M Pro4 ($80)

Add a cheap intel cpu (since you aren't transcoding/etc) like a  Intel Pentium G3250 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz ($60)

Add as much ram as you want (4GB - 16GB).

Add a case that you like, a single rail power supply thats haswell rated, and buy some hdds.

Mix and match, upgrade anything you see above to something more in line with what you might want for future proofing and there ya go.

Also, check out the UCD forum (here for lots of examples, including tiny toaster sized builds, monster builds, builds running lots of VM's/dockers/etc/etc.

Archived