We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

How to increase speed (File-Loading, Program starting) of a VM?

akira62

Hi,

I have setup a Win7 - 32bit VM which runs great, GPU, Keyboard, Scanner and so on is working correctly. The Benchmarks looks like nearly I have a "normal" PC not a VM running.

The only thing that I notice is, that between starting a Program and loading it, it take a long time. A take of some Seconds which is not very nice to notice. Download works completly normal in speed, but to finish the download ist takes some seconds before the File is showing up or even is running.

I have a Cache-Pool (with nor HDDs) and right now runnig the VM there. I try know to put it to an Unassigned Device (another HDD) and hope it will running better. What is your suggestion to get the System to "normal" Working speed?

Thanks in advance

Hi akira62,

Can you outline the steps to move/create an VM on an SSD 'unassigned device'?

I'm asking because I'm recording Live TV within one of my VMs and there is a lot of blockiness which I think is due to the virtio disk write speed being a lot slower than native access.

Hi akira62,

Can you outline the steps to move/create an VM on an SSD 'unassigned device'?

I'm asking because I'm recording Live TV within one of my VMs and there is a lot of blockiness which I think is due to the virtio disk write speed being a lot slower than native access.

What operating system and program are you using? It could also be a problem if you are using a qcow image for your vm because of the copy on write. I record tv with mythtv but I also mount a dedicated secondary drive in the vm for recording purposes.

The unsigned devices is a plugin that lets you mount a drive outside the array. You can then create vm's on that drive. Or copy existing vm's there.

Archived