How to upgrade WITHIN version 6 e.g. 6.0.1 to 6.1.3

rara1234

I have version 6.0.1 on my machine and decided it was time to upgrade to 6.1.3 to close some of the security gaps etc. I see instructions in the wiki for upgrading from 5.x to 6.x keeping config [1], but are they valid for upgrading v6.x to v6.y? Or is it even simpler - do I just copy across all folders except "config" from the install zip to the USB drive?

[1]: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

I have version 6.0.1 on my machine and decided it was time to upgrade to 6.1.3 to close some of the security gaps etc. I see instructions in the wiki for upgrading from 5.x to 6.x keeping config [1], but are they valid for upgrading v6.x to v6.y? Or is it even simpler - do I just copy across all folders except "config" from the install zip to the USB drive?

[1]: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

It is much simpler ... use the plugin manager to upgrade unRAID.

Go to the Plugins page and click Check for Updates. Afterwards it will tell you a new version of unRAID is available; click the update button and reboot your system, done!

• 5 months later...

I am still running 6.0.1 and when I click on the check for upgrade button, the status doesn't change.  The web gui states "no update" and Unraid OS states "up-to-date".  Seems like a manual upgrade is probably the way forward?  How do I do this, since these instructions aren't posted anymore in the change logs.

When I click on update a window pops up and shows the below line.  Then a "Done" button appears, which I press and then nothing more..

"plugin: checking unRAIDServer.plg ..."

This is going from memory of long ago, so it might not be completely acurate...

Somewhere along the way, I think limeTech switched code repositories to make it easier for the community UI developers such as bonienl to contribute. Since you're on such an old version of unraid, I think you'll have to do a manual update to the current version to get you back onto the current repository. After that, the check for updates withing the UI will function as intended.

I am still running 6.0.1 and when I click on the check for upgrade button, the status doesn't change.  The web gui states "no update" and Unraid OS states "up-to-date".  Seems like a manual upgrade is probably the way forward?  How do I do this, since these instructions aren't posted anymore in the change logs.

When I click on update a window pops up and shows the below line.  Then a "Done" button appears, which I press and then nothing more..

"plugin: checking unRAIDServer.plg ..."

To do a manual upgrade, download the zip file from Limetech's site and copy the files bzimage and bzroot to your USB drive (overwriting the existing ones). Next reboot the system.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 3/15/2016 at 2:33 AM, bonienl said:

To do a manual upgrade, download the zip file from Limetech's site and copy the files bzimage and bzroot to your USB drive (overwriting the existing ones). Next reboot the system.

Not to hijack this so many years later, and just to be clear, are you copying the newest bzimage and bzroot onto your existing flash drive? or copying your existing files to the new image.

I tried copying the new files to my flash drive and the flash would not boot (and gave a totally out of range IP4 of something like 169.254.60.16) I reverted back easily enough, but would really like to make this work, rather than be stuck at 6.2.4.'

thanks

1 hour ago, lockrob2000 said:

Not to hijack this so many years later, and just to be clear, are you copying the newest bzimage and bzroot onto your existing flash drive? or copying your existing files to the new image.

I tried copying the new files to my flash drive and the flash would not boot (and gave a totally out of range IP4 of something like 169.254.60.16) I reverted back easily enough, but would really like to make this work, rather than be stuck at 6.2.4.'

thanks

1. Copy config folder from flash to your PC
  2. Prepare flash as a new install
  3. Copy config folder from PC to flash
  4. Boot

Probably best if you rename the config/plugins folder since your old plugins are very unlikely to work.

Since you are trying to get from a version before 6.4, be sure to carefully study the Update Notes here:

• Upvote 1
On 3/15/2016 at 2:33 AM, bonienl said:

thanks

I have tried this both this way and as was suggested by someone else and both ways have gotten the IP assigned as 169.254.25.145, which is way out of the router assigned domain and subnet. Is there a way to get this to assign an IP in the 192.168.*.* arena?

thanks-