Empty Folder(s) when viewed on disks

JMO

Hi,

6.0-beta12

I just happened to be browsing my data on exported unraid disks in windows 7 today and noticed that many of the folders on the disks appear to be empty.

disk1 ->Movies/Movie A/EMPTY

disk2 ->Movies/Movie A/EMPTY

disk3 ->Movies/Movie A/EMPTY

Yet,

Libraries\Movies\Movie A\All expected files, and also, Plex has no problems with playback of the file(s).

In addition, if I log into the Unraid GUI and go to Shares->View->/mnt/user/Movies, Unraid will specify the location(s) for the files and show them as existing.

Can anybody explain to me why I cannot see the files on the disks?

How many disks do you have in the server?  Must be more than 3.

You should be able to see them on the disk shares. You just have to find the right disk. Also do you have a cache disk?  Check it out too.

Total Array of four disks (including parity disk) + cache disk. Actual disk labels are Disk 1, Disk 3 and Disk 4. I retired 3 small disks some time ago and replaced them with a single larger capacity drive.

disk1 ->Movies/Movie A/EMPTY

disk3 ->Movies/Movie A/EMPTY

disk4 ->Movies/Movie A/EMPTY

is the exact scenario.

Cache drive is next to empty. Beside which, the files I am looking at are older than the cache drive.

example.png

It's really bugging me.

Earlier on you mentioned Libraries\Movies\Movie A as a path.    This would show up as the Libraries folder on each disk. - not the Movies folder.    Is there any chance you have been moving files around and moved the contents of the Movies folder to be under the Library folder but managed to leave the Movies folder behind?

Earlier on you mentioned Libraries\Movies\Movie A as a path.    This would show up as the Libraries folder on each disk. - not the Movies folder.    Is there any chance you have been moving files around and moved the contents of the Movies folder to be under the Library folder but managed to leave the Movies folder behind?

The "Libraries" are windows libraries.

Not to be condescending, but for the sake of clarity: windows libraries are essentially collections of directory bookmarks, they have no bearing on my unraid file structure (and indeed should not be considered in anyway to be a part of unraid as they are specific to the client machines(s) and not located on unraid at all).

Nothing is actually "stored" in a windows library, they are simply references.

First thing you should do is upgrade to a stable version of unraid,  i would not bother trying to diagnose a issue in a beta version, just a waste of time IMO

Noted. Working towards it as time permits. Need to check the correct procedure. Gotten as far as a completed parity check.

Side note, my friend that pushed me to get unraid is a big advocate of simply running the latest version, whatever it is. I am coming to realize that his advice is maybe not the best and I should simply stick with the latest stable release. In this case, 6.1.3.

In fact, I am becoming more of a mind to not update at all (once I have gotten a stable release) unless there is a significant improvement in functionality or major bug fix.

It's a learning experience for somebody that had zero Linux exposure prior.

Side note, my friend that pushed me to get unraid is a big advocate of simply running the latest version, whatever it is. I am coming to realize that his advice is maybe not the best and I should simply stick with the latest stable release. In this case, 6.1.3.

That IS the latest stable version :)

In fact, I am becoming more of a mind to not update at all (once I have gotten a stable release) unless there is a significant improvement in functionality or major bug fix.

That is always a good idea as upgrading can always destabilise a system that is running perfectly. 

You should certainly be wary of the beta releases if you do not know your way around the underlying Linux level.

If there is another 6.1.x release it is likely to be for a bug fix/security fix and you can make a decision based on what that is.

Having said that I would expect that the next stable release of unRAID (presumably 6.2) will be worth migrating to for new features it will provide. 

Archived