[Solved] Can't see HD outside of array

Hi all,

I hope this is the appropriate section to ask this question. I have a spare SATA drive that I wanted to have in my unRAID box but not in the array. I was going to start using it for rtorrent then later when I had time, try and get full slackware on it.

The issue is, I cannot seem to find the drive to mount? When I'm in the unRAID disk management screen, I can see it and add it as a new data drive, but when I'm logged in as root, I cannot seem to find it anywhere to try and mount it. I'm fairly novice at linux, these are the commands I ran and their output:

mount

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl  (rw)

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs  (rw)

/dev/sdc1 on /boot type vfat (rw,umask=000,shortname=mixed)

/boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs on /var/www type ext3 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)

/dev/hda1 on /mnt/cache type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md1 on /mnt/disk1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md3 on /mnt/disk3 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md2 on /mnt/disk2 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md4 on /mnt/disk4 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

shfs on /mnt/user type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

shfs on /mnt/user0 type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

cat /etc/fstab

/dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID   /boot   vfat   auto,rw,exec ,umask=000,shortname=mixed 0   0

The drive works fine, I had it as part of the array up until recently and decided to remove it from the array. Now i just want to be able to mount it and use it without it being part of the array.

cat /proc/diskstats

df

The first will include the PATA and SATA drives the system sees. Look for one that isn't referenced in your df/mount/fstab list. It'll likely be the one listed before the flash-drive and show up as a SATA device (sdX). If you have a single partition already created on it, you should see it show up twice, once as sdX and once as sdX1. Usually the USB system will mount the flash drive as the last SATA device.

I'm guessing your spare SATA drive is "sdb" since your flash drive is "sdc".

By far the easiest for you would be to install the unMENU add-on.  It would allow you to mount and share the un-assigned disks with a few button clicks.

If not, you need to create a mount point, mount the drive, and then share it on the LAN by creating a custom share.

Or... you can follow these tips: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3176.0

Or use create the mount-point somewhere under /mnt and then use unRAID-Web and the AjaxExplorer in it to see the files.

Joe L.

BRiT: Thanks! That was helpful. Turned out to be sdb as you thought.

Joe L. Thanks for replying. I actually have UnMenu, but i disabled it because for some reason the combination of UnMenu and BubbaRaid causes the original unRAID management screen to disappear. But I've re-enabled it and I'll look around for a solution to why the original screen disappears.

Thanks to you both for the quick replies! :)

I have both unMenu and BubbaRAID running without problem and the default unRAID management page works just fine.

I imagine most people have it working. For some reason, mine doesn't. With BubbaRaid on and Unmenu off, the "If you are looking for the unRAID Managment Screen, it should be on port , here" points to //tower:88.  When BubbaRaid on and Unmenu on, the "If you are looking for the unRAID Managment Screen, it should be on port , here" points to //tower (itself essentially). Within Unmenu, when i click on unRAID Main, i get a 404 message.

Hrm, i have another issue. It appears this spare hard drive is set as read-only.

My mount now looks like:

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl  (rw)

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs  (rw)

/dev/sdc1 on /boot type vfat (rw,umask=000,shortname=mixed)

/boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs on /var/www type ext3 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)

/dev/hda1 on /mnt/cache type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md1 on /mnt/disk1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md3 on /mnt/disk3 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md2 on /mnt/disk2 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md4 on /mnt/disk4 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

shfs on /mnt/user type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

shfs on /mnt/user0 type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/disk/sdb1 type reiserfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)

Any idea how to switch it to rw ?

from Unmenu's Disk Management Screen:

/dev/sdb1 mounted on /mnt/disk/sdb1

Using command: mount -r -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk/sdb1 2>&1

mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /mnt/disk/sdb1 busy

mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /mnt/disk/sdb1

from Unmenu's Disk Management Screen:

/dev/sdb1 mounted on /mnt/disk/sdb1

Using command: mount -r -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk/sdb1 2>&1

mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /mnt/disk/sdb1 busy

mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /mnt/disk/sdb1

Ok, it is easy

For just this time, you can type:

mount -orw,remount /dev/sdb1

You will need to make sure it is not "busy" so close any files, and "cd" to somewhere other than on the sdb1 disk before you type the command.

For all future mounts of a reiser file system from unMENU's disk management page, edit your unmenu_local.conf file

Change

MOUNT_OPTIONS reiserfs = -r -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs

to

MOUNT_OPTIONS reiserfs = -w -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs

Ok, it is easy

For just this time, you can type:

mount -orw,remount /dev/sdb1

You will need to make sure it is not "busy" so close any files, and "cd" to somewhere other than on the sdb1 disk before you type the command.

For all future mounts of a reiser file system from unMENU's disk management page, edit your unmenu_local.conf file

Change

MOUNT_OPTIONS reiserfs = -r -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs

to

MOUNT_OPTIONS reiserfs = -w -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs

Woohoo! thanks Joe  :D