We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

VM Manager (Unraid 6.1.3) Can't Enable

whitey88x

Hi All,

First post for me despite having been successfully using Unraid for over a year or two now, and unfortunately it's out of despair.

In summary, I am trying to enable VM's in Unraid so I can install a Windows OS for some security surveillance camera's I've recently purchased.

When doing so, I am roadblocked at the first stage - enabling VM Manager.

It states that my hardware isn't VT-x or VT-d enabled.

A few things to mention;

• I'm a Windows nut, but slowly learning commands for linux but mainly use Unraid's GUI - so if there's commands that need to be run, please be patient as there may be some novice questions for guidance.  :D
  • I know my way around hardware and BIOS's well enough to get me in to trouble  ::)
  • I have confirmed my motherboard & CPU are VT-x and VT-d capable (unless I've had a man's look, as my wife says).
  • I have configured the BIOS to have any/all references relating to VM's enabled.

Here's the logs from Unraid as I open the VM Manager screen.

Nov 3 10:39:07 Tower kernel: kvm: no hardware support
Nov 3 10:39:07 Tower kernel: has_svm: not amd
Nov 3 10:39:07 Tower kernel: kvm: no hardware support
Nov 3 10:40:23 Tower kernel: kvm: no hardware support
Nov 3 10:40:23 Tower kernel: has_svm: not amd
Nov 3 10:40:23 Tower kernel: kvm: no hardware support
Nov 3 10:48:51 Tower emhttp: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/tail_log syslog

Here's my system info from Unraid

Model: N/A
M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - P9D-M Series
CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz
HVM: Not Available
IOMMU: Not Available
Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB
Memory: 32768 MB (max. installable capacity 32 GB)
Network: eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex
eth1: not connected
Kernel: Linux 4.1.7-unRAID x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.0.1p

I've tried searching through the forums and other resources online, but can't find an answer - hopeful for the community to help!

If you click on "Info" in the upper right corner of the webGui, what does it say next to HVM?  If it says Not Available, then your hardware does not support virtualization.  If it says Disabled, it means that you don't have it enabled properly in the BIOS.

Hi jonp, I appreciate the response.

I copy/pasted the Info section in my original post - it states it's not available.

I checked the motherboard specs, along with CPU before I purchased them earlier this year - they are both VM capable, also both with VT-d and VT-x support.

I have also ensured the options are enabled in the BIOS.

Out of curiosity, I did also update to the latest BIOS available and still no luck.

Any guidance is welcome :)

There are two sections under your bios. Do you have them both enabled? One under Advanced/CPU Configuration for Intel Virtualization Technology and under Advanced/Systems Agent (SA) Configuration for VT-d. Also under CPU Configuration it should say which Technologies are supported for your CPU. The processor you have should support virtualization but does it say it in the bios?

Only just been able to shut down and reboot my server - sorry for taking so long. Even though I swear I had checked the settings previously, I figured I'd do it again to be safe.

They are still enabled. Photos below of the BIOS.

http://i66.tinypic.com/307yq8h.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2dqrehl.jpg

Bios settings looks good to me.  Can you please login to the web gui, click the Feedback menu item, check the Bug Report option and submit.  That'll automatically send us a bit more info and full system log we can comb over... at least a few man's look over.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for your suggestion - doing so right now, and have placed in this forum post in the 'other info' section.

I appreciate any other mans look at this point - please let me know if you need anything further  ;D

oh, I see what the issue is.  Looks like you're using old hypervisor 'xen' we had in some of our older 6.0 betas.  When you're using xen you cannot use kvm at all.  To fix this you could either:

A) Overwrite your flash/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file from the one that ships with the unraid 6.1.3. zip file you downloaded.  Then reboot unRAID.

-or-

B) Go to http://Tower/Main/Flash?name=flash and overwrite the existing syslinux configuration with:

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Save and then reboot unRAID.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for your suggestion - doing so right now, and have placed in this forum post in the 'other info' section.

I appreciate any other mans look at this point - please let me know if you need anything further  ;D

oh, I see what the issue is.  Looks like you're using old hypervisor 'xen' we had in some of our older 6.0 betas.  When you're using xen you cannot use kvm at all.  To fix this you could either:

A) Overwrite your flash/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file from the one that ships with the unraid 6.1.3. zip file you downloaded.  Then reboot unRAID.

-or-

B) Go to http://Tower/Main/Flash?name=flash and overwrite the existing syslinux configuration with:

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Save and then reboot unRAID.

Thanks Eric!

Thanks eschultz,

I never configured XEN before hand in the original beta's, so didn't think that was a possibility.

I must admit, saw several posts about it causing issues with the new version but never thought it'd affect me.

I'll re-write the config file tonight using option B and go from there.

Sorry for the mix-up, and I sincerely appreciate the guided response.

Archived