***GUIDE*** Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan – VM on unRAID

I upgraded from unRAID 6.1.9 to 6.2 and now my El Capitan VM won't start. What can I do to fix this?

Look some pages back. I think you must change one parameter in the XML.

Gus

you must change the machine type to q35-2.5 in 6.2 for it to work

<os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.5'>hvm</type>

I've done that and I still can't get it to boot. It won't even boot with the install ISO.

Try changing core2duo to Penryn

gridrunner's guide should, for the most part, work for Sierra as well.  Apple's core2duo devices were cut for Sierra so we'll have to change our emulation to Penryn.  enoch's latest version seems to work well but clover is a little bit of a mess with Penryn.  With the QEMU flag enabled in config.plist the VM runs at 1/4 speed and without the flag at ~10x speed. dreadkopp over at Insanelymac posted a patched Clover 3578 with the appropriate fixes but they have not yet been merged into Clover.  Therefore, you'll have to use dreadkopp Clover version for now. You can follow the Clover ticket here.

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>macOS</name>
  <uuid>cf5aa9c4-c70c-4b00-bb27-2125bc8fcedc</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="macOS" icon="/mnt/user/domains/macOS/OSX-10.12.png"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='rom'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='custom' match='exact'>
    <model fallback='allow'>Penryn</model>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>

<source file='/mnt/user/domains/macOS/vdisk1.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
    </disk>

<source file='/mnt/user/domains/macOS/sierra_usb'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <model name='i82801b11-bridge'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <model name='pci-bridge'/>
      <target chassisNr='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:00:20:30'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
     <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='none' model='none'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=OSX_KEY'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=/mnt/user/domains/macOS/Powercolor.R9270.2048.131105.rom'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=00:1d.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.2'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Hi danofun,

I just read your sierra guide. Great guide. Wow i wish i read it before making my video guide for sierra!! Great you have found how to stop sierra lagging the 1/4 speed problem. I said in my video i bet someone will fix this soon and you already had!!

Anyway now i have added the patched clover files, into the files I linked in the description of the video and reuploaded them, to fix this. Thankyou.

One thing i saw in your xml file

<os>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='rom'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>

I see you are mapping the unified OVMF.fd file  as ROM. I guess this is just so its easier for people to copy and paste the xml not having to worry about creating the nvram which gets created based off the uuid on vm creation.

But from what i have read we should never map the OVMF.fd file as ROM even though libvirt does support it. We should use writable pflash so the firmware binary is central but all our ovmf VMs can keep a private varstore.

I didnt know apple had dropped the core2duo devices. Typical apple making forced obsolescence. Makes me think that my 2012 retina macbook pro will be being pushed to obsolescence in the next few years!!

Love the icon you done for sierra...awesome

gridrunner's guide should, for the most part, work for Sierra as well.  Apple's core2duo devices were cut for Sierra so we'll have to change our emulation to Penryn.  enoch's latest version seems to work well but clover is a little bit of a mess with Penryn.  With the QEMU flag enabled in config.plist the VM runs at 1/4 speed and without the flag at ~10x speed. dreadkopp over at Insanelymac posted a patched Clover 3578 with the appropriate fixes but they have not yet been merged into Clover.  Therefore, you'll have to use dreadkopp Clover version for now. You can follow the Clover ticket here.

<name>macOS</name>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="macOS" icon="/mnt/user/domains/macOS/OSX-10.12.png"/>
  </metadata>
  <cputune>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <devices>

<backingStore/>
    </disk>

<backingStore/>
    </disk>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
      <target chassisNr='2'/>
    </controller>
    </controller>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
    </interface>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=/mnt/user/domains/macOS/Powercolor.R9270.2048.131105.rom'/>
</domain>

Hi danofun,

I just read your sierra guide. Great guide. Wow i wish i read it before making my video guide for sierra!! Great you have found how to stop sierra lagging the 1/4 speed problem. I said in my video i bet someone will fix this soon and you already had!!

Anyway now i have added the patched clover files, into the files I linked in the description of the video and reuploaded them, to fix this. Thankyou.

<os>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>

I see you are mapping the unified OVMF.fd file  as ROM. I guess this is just so its easier for people to copy and paste the xml not having to worry about creating the nvram which gets created based off the uuid on vm creation.

But from what i have read we should never map the OVMF.fd file as ROM even though libvirt does support it. We should use writable pflash so the firmware binary is central but all our ovmf VMs can keep a private varstore.

I didnt know apple had dropped the core2duo devices. Typical apple making forced obsolescence. Makes me think that my 2012 retina macbook pro will be being pushed to obsolescence in the next few years!!

gridrunner, the positive feedback is greatly appreciated.  Your video guides will be invaluable to the community.  The Sierra upgrade piece exists mainly to outline the differences at this point between Sierra and previous OS installs.  Those who truly deserve the credit are the unRAID crew for this amazing platform, archedraft and peter_sm for getting the OS X ball rolling, and dreadkopp at InsanelyMac for putting together the patched version of Clover.  Hopefully we can get these or similar resulting patches included in the mainline Clover code.  I'll attempt to resurrect and troubleshoot this ticket.

I had indeed included the unified OVMF.fd in the xml solely for ease of VM creation.  To your point, it is probably in poor form to do so and I've upgraded the XML accordingly.  Cheers!

<name>macOS</name>
  <metadata>
  </metadata>
  <cputune>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <devices>

<backingStore/>
    </disk>

<backingStore/>
    </disk>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
      <target chassisNr='2'/>
    </controller>
    </controller>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
    </interface>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

Hi danofun,

<os>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>

gridrunner, the positive feedback is greatly appreciated.  Your video guides will be invaluable to the community.  The Sierra upgrade piece exists mainly to outline the differences at this point between Sierra and previous OS installs.  Those who truly deserve the credit are the unRAID crew for this amazing platform, archedraft and peter_sm for getting the OS X ball rolling, and dreadkopp at InsanelyMac for putting together the patched version of Clover.  Hopefully we can get these or similar resulting patches included in the mainline Clover code.  I'll attempt to resurrect and troubleshoot this ticket.

I had indeed included the unified OVMF.fd in the xml solely for ease of VM creation.  To your point, it is probably in poor form to do so and I've upgraded the XML accordingly.  Cheers!

yeah i couldn't agree more  the work the unRAID team have done is awesome. To be honest i have enjoyed computers since a boy but until recently kind of lost that real interest. That is until I was lucky enough to find unRAID and the great community here!! Now i feel like 13 again! It has rekindled that interest and again i love computers lol!! but not so sure the girlfriend is so pleased about it lol

The work archedraft and peter_sm did getting the osx working on the platform was just the icing on cake making unRAID  the perfect system for me by being able to run that.

I mentioned the unified OVMF.fd really only as may be useful to have individual setting of the tianocore if people change resolution etc not meaning it was poor form :)

If your CPU supports it, make sure to passthrough the AES(-NI) instruction set just to speed up your vm a little more. (Penryn,+aes)

Alright, I've managed to pull off this install.

width=900http://i.imgur.com/bzxbSEv.png[/img]

I'll write down some of the issues I encountered during install:

1. Mouse and keyboard

During install using the XML and dreadkopp Clover install both my mouse and keyboard were largely unusable (would move for ~30 seconds, afterwards it would stop). In order to remedy this I had to copy the EFI and XML config from http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51915.0. After doing this both mouse and keyboard worked.

2. Graphics

However using the iMac9,1 SMBios in gridrunner's Clover EFI will cause graphics to get screwy with NVIDIA graphics (not sure if its just this). Two ways of fixing this:

[*]Patching AppleGraphicsControl.kext and adding your board ID from ioreg -l | grep board-id

[*]Switching to the iMac14,1 or iMac14,2 definition

Switching to the 14,1 definition is definitely the easier way.

3. Sound

Using a USB sound card is mostly functional, however after extended periods of listening static would take over the audio and soon after the audio would cut out. I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster Play 2, if anyone has any advice on how to fix this it would be appreciated.

The XML for reference:

<domain type='kvm' id='1' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>macOS</name>
  <uuid>0e025a14-0a40-0b27-7a58-b77d21755bef</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="macOS Sierra" icon="/mnt/disks/vmssd/OSX-10.12.png" os="macOS"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>33554432</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>33554432</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>16</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='8'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='9'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='10'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='11'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='13'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='14'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='15'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='24'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='9' cpuset='25'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='10' cpuset='26'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='11' cpuset='27'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='12' cpuset='28'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='13' cpuset='29'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='14' cpuset='30'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='15' cpuset='31'/>
    <emulatorpin cpuset='0,16'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/0e025a14-0a40-0b27-7a58-b77d21755bef_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/vmssd/macOS.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <alias name='usb'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='ide'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
    </controller>
      <target chassisNr='2'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
    </controller>
      <mac address='52:54:00:51:66:48'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
    </interface>
    <memballoon model='none'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=apparentlyimnotmeanttoincludethisthing'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=83:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=83:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>
</domain>

Hey could anyone help me out with some GPU passthrough goodness?

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] [10de:1402] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8554]

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11, NUMA node 0

Memory at de000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

I/O ports at 7000

Expansion ROM at df000000 [disabled]

Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel

Capabilities: [258] L1 PM Substates

Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>

Capabilities: [420] Advanced Error Reporting

Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>

Capabilities: [900] #19

Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0fba] (rev a1)

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10, NUMA node 0

Memory at df080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

This is my XML:

<name>OSX seabios</name>

<uuid>4e05138f-ba9b-40bb-9c04-51d895bfb29d</uuid>

<metadata>

<vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="linux.png" os="linux"/>

</metadata>

<memory unit='KiB'>62390272</memory>

<currentMemory unit='KiB'>62390272</currentMemory>

<memoryBacking>

<nosharepages/>

</memoryBacking>

<vcpu placement='static'>32</vcpu>

<cputune>

<vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='5'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='6'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='7'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='8'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='9' cpuset='9'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='10' cpuset='10'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='11' cpuset='11'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='12' cpuset='12'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='13' cpuset='13'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='14' cpuset='14'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='15' cpuset='15'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='16' cpuset='16'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='17' cpuset='17'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='18' cpuset='18'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='19' cpuset='19'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='20' cpuset='20'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='21' cpuset='21'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='22' cpuset='22'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='23' cpuset='23'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='24' cpuset='24'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='25' cpuset='25'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='26' cpuset='26'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='27' cpuset='27'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='28' cpuset='28'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='29' cpuset='29'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='30' cpuset='30'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='31' cpuset='31'/>

</cputune>

<os>

<kernel>/mnt/disk1/appdata/default/bootr2839</kernel>

<boot dev='hd'/>

</os>

<features>

<acpi/>

</features>

<model fallback='allow'>core2duo</model>

<vendor>Intel</vendor>

</cpu>

<clock offset='utc'/>

<devices>

<source file='/mnt/disk1/appdata/default/ElCapitan.img'/>

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>

</disk>

</controller>

</controller>

<controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>

</controller>

<target chassisNr='2'/>

</controller>

<source bridge='br0'/>

</interface>

<input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>

<input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>

<listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>

</graphics>

<video>

<model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>

</video>

<memballoon model='none'/>

</devices>

<qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=****'/>

<qemu:arg value='core2duo,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>

<qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>

<qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>

</domain>

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] [10de:1402] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I/O ports at 7000

This is my XML:

<name>OSX seabios</name>

<metadata>

</metadata>

<memoryBacking>

<nosharepages/>

</memoryBacking>

<cputune>

</cputune>

<os>

<boot dev='hd'/>

</os>

<features>

<acpi/>

</features>

<vendor>Intel</vendor>

</cpu>

<clock offset='utc'/>

<devices>

</disk>

</controller>

</controller>

</controller>

<target chassisNr='2'/>

</controller>

<source bridge='br0'/>

</interface>

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>

</graphics>

<video>

</video>

</devices>

<qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>

<qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>

</domain>l

Hi you have still got the vnc part in the xml

remove this

</graphics>
    <video>
    </video>

you will have to passthrough a keyboard mouse aswell or a whole usb controller for the keyboard mouse although i have never had probs from 6.2 passing through kb m with host dev.

You will need the nvidia web drivers too.  :)

I/O ports at 7000

This is my XML:

<name>OSX seabios</name>

<metadata>

</metadata>

<memoryBacking>

<nosharepages/>

</memoryBacking>

<cputune>

</cputune>

<os>

<boot dev='hd'/>

</os>

<features>

<acpi/>

</features>

<vendor>Intel</vendor>

</cpu>

<clock offset='utc'/>

<devices>

</disk>

</controller>

</controller>

</controller>

<target chassisNr='2'/>

</controller>

<source bridge='br0'/>

</interface>

</graphics>

<video>

</video>

</devices>

<qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>

</domain>l

Hi you have still got the vnc part in the xml

remove this

</graphics>
    <video>
    </video>

you will have to passthrough a keyboard mouse aswell or a whole usb controller for the keyboard mouse although i have never had probs from 6.2 passing through kb m with host dev.

You will need the nvidia web drivers too.  :)

opps didnt look properly first time

after removing the vnc part put this in.

<qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=2,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.1,bus=pcie.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=put in your osk here !!!!!!!!!!!!!'/>

You can also use host dev for passthrough. Either should be fine.

Oh one thing...please edit your post that you posted xml so it doesnt have the osk key in the post  :)

Cool i've got the graphic card working :) thanks for that. I was reading the USB passthrough guide, but it just starts up with a dot then says

"EBIOS read error : Error 0x0c"

<domain type='kvm' id='8' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

<name>OSX seabios</name>

<metadata>

</metadata>

<memoryBacking>

<nosharepages/>

</memoryBacking>

<cputune>

</cputune>

<resource>

</resource>

<os>

<boot dev='hd'/>

</os>

<features>

<acpi/>

</features>

<vendor>Intel</vendor>

</cpu>

<clock offset='utc'/>

<devices>

<backingStore/>

<alias name='sata0-0-0'/>

</disk>

<alias name='usb'/>

</controller>

<alias name='ide'/>

</controller>

<alias name='pcie.0'/>

</controller>

<alias name='pci.1'/>

</controller>

<target chassisNr='2'/>

<alias name='pci.2'/>

</controller>

<source bridge='br0'/>

<target dev='vnet0'/>

<alias name='net0'/>

</interface>

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>

</graphics>

<video>

<alias name='video0'/>

</video>

<alias name='balloon0'/>

</memballoon>

</devices>

</domain>

see any issues? It would hang on waiting for guest to use monitor message if i had the port set to 2, so i set it to one, but yeah having the usb controller passthrough doesn't let me boot?

Cool i've got the graphic card working :) thanks for that. I was reading the USB passthrough guide, but it just starts up with a dot then says "EBIOS read error : Error 0x0c

<domain type='kvm' id='8' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

<name>OSX seabios</name>

<metadata>

</metadata>

<memoryBacking>

<nosharepages/>

</memoryBacking>

<cputune>

</cputune>

<resource>

</resource>

<os>

<boot dev='hd'/>

</os>

<features>

<acpi/>

</features>

<vendor>Intel</vendor>

</cpu>

<clock offset='utc'/>

<devices>

<backingStore/>

<alias name='sata0-0-0'/>

</disk>

<alias name='usb'/>

</controller>

<alias name='ide'/>

</controller>

<alias name='pcie.0'/>

</controller>

<alias name='pci.1'/>

</controller>

<target chassisNr='2'/>

<alias name='pci.2'/>

</controller>

<source bridge='br0'/>

<target dev='vnet0'/>

<alias name='net0'/>

</interface>

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>

</graphics>

<video>

<alias name='video0'/>

</video>

<alias name='balloon0'/>

</memballoon>

</devices>

</domain>

see any issues? It would hang on waiting for guest to use monitor message if i had the port set to 2, so i set it to one, but yeah having the usb controller passthrough doesn't let me boot?

great glad you got gpu working.

i would try just using host dev to passthrough just keyboard and mouse much easier

mine looks like this

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc52b'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

if you not sure how to get the correct code.

1. just setup a blank vm called test template or similar ,with no vdisks etc.

2. On vm manager attach only your keyboard mouse. save it.

3. now edit xml on it and look for the host dev part similar to above. Copy and paste it the put it here in your xml

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc52b'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev><memballoon model='none'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

Also why have you got vnc and pasthrough together?

awesome, it works! Thanks heaps :). So... if I need to type in nvda_drv=1 as a boot flag every time, how do I do this without VNC entry? I tried entering this in the chameleon boot file in the extra folder but it still needs it to be typed manually?

sorry cant help you with how not enter the boot flag at all. I use clover myself and the graphics card i use is an hd 6450.

But you will be able to to see the screen on your monitor from the passthrough(so long as vnc code not in xml, as that will then be primary display).So now you got keyboard passed through you can type there. If you are skipping that screen before the monitor displays your passthough gpu, then change the time out in chameleon file.

to <key>Timeout<key>

<string>10</string>

2 x E5-2670 2.6ghz 3.3ghz turbo

64GB DDR3

GTX 1080

GTX 950

Samsung 950 pro

60" 4K screen

For some reason, If i remove the VNC section in the XML, nothing happens... it says its on, but i cant connect via macs screen sharing nor is it on the hdmi out from the graphics card?

Are you using all the servers cores and RAM for the VM ?

//P

Any ideas why i'm unable to get into my VM if I remove the VNC entry in XML? I'm passing through a video card and it works when the VNC entry is in the XML, the moment its out, it says its on, no errors, but it's not displaying via the video card, I can't tell if it has an error or not :/.

Any ideas why i'm unable to get into my VM if I remove the VNC entry in XML? I'm passing through a video card and it works when the VNC entry is in the XML, the moment its out, it says its on, no errors, but it's not displaying via the video card, I can't tell if it has an error or not :/.

post your whole xml file as it is now without the vnc part. (remove osk key too!)

You could try installing splashtop as i do in my osx videos. Then see if the machine is actually booting but you just cant see screen