How to setup crashplan to backup to network share

Ryan2207

Hi. Yes there are several good threads on this, just do a search from crashplan. It will make a difference if you are on v5 or v6 so plugin or docker route. i have done it in v5 and now setting up v6 so i need to learn myaelf how to do it in docker but there is a lot of info in the forum.

• 1 month later...

With a Container volume mapped to

/ext

and the Host path

/mnt/disks/

then CrashPlan should be able to see devices mounted under Unassigned Devices (both local devices and SMB shares). In CrashPlan you should be able to see

ext

in the list of folders.

However, there is a problem with when the Unassigned devices are mounted. Normally they get mounted after that the Docker service and CrashPlan gets started and then you might not be able to see the mounts made by Unassigned Devices in CrashPlan. The solution is restart CrashPlan or you might need to restart the Docker service to get it to work.

When you did the setup of the network share with Unassigned devices to the remote server, after you entered the IP to the remote server as well as the username and password, where you able to select a share on the remote server? Have a look on the enclosed picture.

In my example the share is Temp (on the remote server) so if you go to CrashPlan and select directory where you intend to store your files you should see something similar to the other enclosed picture.

SMB_setup.png.ec721ef2c4e9db8924023270bb14139f.png

CP_setup.png.c654dd3ec8bab39224abe3a073c2d3a0.png

Log on to the command prompt on your server (that is running CrashPlan) and go to /mnt/disks/smb_remoteserver_mappedshare

If this works Unassigned devices has been able to connect to your remote server. Make a test folder as well (mkdir test) in your mapped share.

Start the CrashPlan Desktop container and check that you can find your test folder when you select backup destinations in the directory list (ext/smb_remoteserver_mappedshare/test)

I can see the shares, it just doesn't save to them i tried 2 methods, tried saving to an smb share and to an external usb same thing at 7.8GB insufficient space.

Ill tell you my steps

1. In the crashplan app i mount my unraid disks and my unassigned disks

2. I boot up crashplan desktop and select the files i want to backup from disk 1

3. Set the destination as smb/share and run

I can see the shares, it just doesn't save to them i tried 2 methods, tried saving to an smb share and to an external usb same thing at 7.8GB insufficient space.

Ill tell you my steps

1. In the crashplan app i mount my unraid disks and my unassigned disks

2. I boot up crashplan desktop and select the files i want to backup from disk 1

3. Set the destination as smb/share and run

I feel I am running out of ideas. From what I can understand the plugin Unassigned devices is setup and working ok. Why do you think your backup ends up inside the Docker container? Can you see that the usage increases or does the Docker volume run out of space?

Just to be sure, I would check all Volume mappings for the CrashPlan container once more as well as your settings in the CrashPlan Desktop app (the GUI).

You are mentioning that you are backing up from disk 1. Normally the mappings are setup to backup the User shares found under /mnt/user/

Do you have a User share on disks 1 as well?

Archived