HDD resurrection, or misinterpretation??

Hello,

Some months ago, one of my 4TB HDD seems defect on my unraid 5.0.5.

Red ball, 128 errors, unraid server has stopped this HDD.

So I've simply swapped this HDD for another new one, and I should send this HDD back to Seagate for fix it.

Some days after, I've put this HDD on the original external USB box, and I've check the HDD with the seagate program before sending it on guarantee.

No problem found, the HDD seems perfectly healthy.

I've forget the HDD some months on my desk.

Now I've test the HDD with preclear, and the results doesn't seems bad.

What is wrong?

Attachments :

- Main unraid capture, with the HDD fail (FYVB).

- preclear finish report for the same HDD (FYVB), but 4 months after. Seems healthy, no?

Thanks

00-Main-Main_tiny.jpg.7c4272711fa2ce9390a532d595c1ce0a.jpg

preclear_finish__Z300FYVB_2015-11-10.txt

Nothing but speculation at this point. A syslog that included the redball event might have told us something. Often a drive is redballed for something other than the drive, such as a loose cable or power connector. All a redball means is a write to the drive failed for some reason, and it must be rebuilt. It must be rebuilt because that failed write, and any subsequent writes, are in the parity array and not on the disk.

A syslog that included the redball event might have told us something.

OK, original old syslog attached.

I've never looked at it, I don't understand those syslog and the colours are lost so it's difficult to see what's matter.

Anyway, the system boot in april 14.

There was a bunch of errors in may, 10-12 and apparently I didn't notice thoses.

Some more in june, 21.

For some reason, I look at main status in july and, after grabbing the syslog and a picture of the main screen, assigned the failed HDD for another one already connected inside the server and I've removed the "bad" HDD some days after the swap.

Now I've put the "bad" HDD in the same place as before, launch preclear on it and it seems that everything look fine.

Maybe an issue with power, sata cable...

Thanks anyway.

syslog-2015-07-23.zip