[Solved] Unraid 6 - Unresponsive

goinsnoopin

Since upgrading to Unraid 6, I have had several instances of the webgui becoming unresponsive and smbd processes spawning.  I have several posts about this on the forum.  I am still having this issue and I wanted to post what I have done and what I plan to do moving forward.

I have updated my hardware to the following:

AsRock Z97 Extreme6, i7 4790K, 16 GB ram, Corsair TX650 Powersupply, HD5450 GPU for passthrough to my Win7 VM, all new Sata Cables and I removed my add on AOCSASMV8 Sata card.

All my disks are reiserfs and I never installed any of the Unraid 6 betas.  I have booted Unraid in safemode, and started the array in maintenance mode and have run reiserfsck on all disk and get no corruptions found.

I am having the exact same crashes with this hardware as I did with my old Supermicro C2SEE motherboard and 2 GB of ram.  The only difference this time around is that with my updated hardware I am running windows 7 64 bit pro as a VM.  The interesting thing is that when the webgui crashes....the VM still runs and I can browse the web, etc as long as I dont try and read or write to the files with samba.

Attached is the diagnostics for my most recent crash, as well as a screenshot from htop showing the CPU at 500%????

The only two things that have not been replaced are the unraid flash drive (however I did run checkdisk on it and found no errors) and the drives themselves.  I have ordered a new 3 TB drive and it will arrive on Friday.  At this point I plan on attempting a conversion to the XFS file format.

One item I mentioned to Jonp is that two years ago, I had an add on sata card that was based on the SIL3132 chipset that was found to be the cause of some silent corruptions.  Not sure if that could have done something to my data, but figure I should give conversion to XFS a shot.

Any sugestions, just let me know.

Dan

tower-diagnostics-20151111-0722.zip

unraid_htop.PNG.d8cef30abbb66fe869899388957e432b.PNG

This sounds a lot like the issues that I and some others are having.

An attempt is made to write to the array, then for some currently unexplained reason, the write operation doesn't work, but also doesn't fail or create any errors. Then the SHFS process involved just sits using as much CPU as it can raising the load on the server until it becomes unresponsive. You then hard reset (a software reboot fails) do a parity check and find no errors.

Are there any messages on the physical console?

While I am waiting for my 3 TB drive (arrives tomorrow), I am switching from a Windows 7 VM to a Windows 10 VM just to see if there is any difference.  I had over a year of uptime with unraid 5...currently my uptime is less than 24 hours.  It leaves me very concerned...I don't know if I can get the drive precleared in that time frame...also worried about the data transfer.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Archived