Starting to feel guilty about uploading 5TB to crashplan. Thoughts?

wisem2540

Like most of you, my unraid has multiple uses.  Movies, TV, Music, and personal files.  My original thought was that I had a ton of time invested in my dataset and I want to protect it.  5TB later...crashplan is always busy and now using a TON of memory.  Plus, I doubt crashplan was counting on this much data being sent to them....  all for 50 bucks a year

My only real options are to either keep feeding Crashplan memory as my data grows, or to only tell Crashplan to back up the FILES portion of unraid.  What are some of you with the huge 48TB arrays doing?

I'm only backing up the things that are irreplaceable (photos, documents etc).

Anything that can be generated again (dvd rips, flac etc) I don't bother with.

That said it's only because the amount of time it would take to push it all offsite.

Don't feel bad about pushing 5TB to crashplan. It's what they advertise and what you pay for. I've read anecdotal tales from others with far more than that in there..

They'll have designed their business model to cope with a small proportion of people eating lots of space - whilst most people only use a small amount.

My personal thoughts on this: I don’t see CrashPlan (or any other cloud based service) as a primary backup solution, I consider it to be a Disaster Recovery alternative when all your other backups fails.

There are also other aspects. All data sent to the CrashPlan servers goes through a data deduplication process meaning that each data block that is transferred to their servers is compared with all data blocks already backed up. The more data you have backed up the longer the data deduplication process will take making the transfer speed drop over time until you find a point where it simply becomes too slow to use any longer.

Archived