A good drive is "device is disabled, contents emulated'. I tried the fix, but..

I cranked down the screw in my controller card that serves several drives.  One disk became disabled from this mistake I made.  I took the card out, cleaned it and re-inserted it.  Now all is working well.  The card can see the drive but it is disabled.  I can choose the drive from the dropdown list but it stays disabled.

I tried the remove drive, start array, powerdown array, reinstall drive and power up array to get it to rebuild, but no go.  The drive shows, but with the dreaded red 'x' and "device is disabled, contents emulated.

Do I reformat the drive in a windows machine and reformat in raid and rebuild?  I have a backup of it's contents in Windows format.  I know the data is still good on the drive, it's just that I messed with the cabling much too much.

Can I force a parity rebuild?

I'm stumped.  Help!

Rebuild on a 3TB drive didn't take very long (less than 15 minutes???).

I still have the red x but my bubble notes that pop up say array is now good with 0 disk errors.

Smart report for that disk says 0 errors.

It still says drive is being emulated.  Is there a way to force a partiy check (like in version 5).  Would that work by having it correct any errors there are?

Can't imagine stopping and starting the array would help at this point. 

How do you start a parity check in version 6?

Rebuild on a 3TB drive didn't take very long (less than 15 minutes???).

I still have the red x but my bubble notes that pop up say array is now good with 0 disk errors.

Smart report for that disk says 0 errors.

It still says drive is being emulated.  Is there a way to force a partiy check (like in version 5).  Would that work by having it correct any errors there are?

Can't imagine stopping and starting the array would help at this point. 

How do you start a parity check in version 6?

It didn't rebuild properly.  Probably the disk dropped offline.  You should post your diagnostics

I just am NOT getting it.  I'm not seeing it.

What diagnostics would be best.  SMART report says disk is good.  No errors.  Why is my array still unprotected?

I have Array Devices, Boot Device, and Array Operations.  I have started, array unprotected.  In version 5 there was a 'parity check' section.  In this version there is not.

screenshot_2.jpg.4545e22eb0568573f3a024b11e469da3.jpg

I tried a second rebuild.  Went on overnight.  All is back to normal!

Thank you for your help.  I now understand that if a disk is disabled, you can't run parity.  The disk must be rebuilt first.  Will mark this as solved.

Glad all's restored okay.  For future reference, another alternative, given that you were confident in the drive's contents AND had backups of the data (just in case), would have been to just do a New Config and assign all the drives as they originally were.  This would have forced a new parity sync.    But it was actually probably a better choice to do the rebuild, since if the drive had in fact been bad you could have still rebuilt the data to a new drive.    [Less important since you had good backups, but nevertheless a factor.]

... Smart does look good on that drive ...

??  Not sure what you're referring to.  Everything looks fine -- no pendings, no reallocated sectors; and all significant parameters still at their max value (100 or 200)

Like i said, smart does look good

And my justification for another rebuild was that the 2tb was known to be good and no real good reason to do a new config and rebuild the parity and then rebuild the 4tb.  That way the parity drive never got touched.  Less risk in my mind

Clearly had a senior moment and miss-read your comment => I think the caveats following the comment on SMART made me think you had said "doesn't" ... even though you clearly said "does"  :)

I agree -- as I noted above -- that rebuilding it was the best approach.

Lol and i had a middle age moment (sometimers?) And misread the reply thinking you wanted to do a new config.