One Red X & One Orange Triangle (or maybe a Blue Square?)

TonyTheTiger

Hello All.

My server is full of drives. Mostly 4TBs.

I had to pull Disk1 (leaving the Array Unprotected) to Preclear a new 6TB drive to replace/upgrade the my 4TB Parity Drive. It took most of the weekend, but it went okay (No Failures).

Pulling the 6TB, and reinstalling Disk1, I restarted the Array and was told it need to rebuild Disk1 (Orange Triangle). No Problem. I expected this.

THEN...

0.1% into the rebuild I notice that Disk5 Red-Balled (well, Red-Xed, now). It showed No Device, and wants to completely reformat Disk1 & Disk5.

Taking a chance, I stopped the Array, powered-down, and re-checked and re-seated all the cables (SATA and power).

Restarting the Server, but not the Array, I can re-assign Disk5 (Blue Square), and Disk1 is still an Orange Triangle. Restarting the Array gives me an Orange Triangle on both Disk1 & Disk5, but still wants me to reformat both drive.

I don't want to. Niether drive holds Life Threatening Information. Disk1 has/had almost 4TB of music that can't easily be replaced. Disk5 has/had almost 4TB of TV Shows.

What Now?

Please let me know if I should upload the Diagnostics or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TYIA

Just an Out-OF-The-Box Idea.

I have a second unRaid Pro License. Could I start up a new (small) sever with at least Disk1 (and maybe Disk5); and form a new Parity from them? Then transfer the info to newly replace drive in the old Server.

I really don't want to lose that music. Some of it came from relatives who are no longer alive.

Just an Idea.

Just an Out-OF-The-Box Idea.

I have a second unRaid Pro License. Could I start up a new (small) sever with at least Disk1 (and maybe Disk5); and form a new Parity from them? Then transfer the info to newly replace drive in the old Server.

I really don't want to lose that music. Some of it came from relatives who are no longer alive.

Just an Idea.

You wouldn't necessarily need to have parity in the small server. I have my doubts about this working though. Unless there is something else wrong with your main server if it says the disks need formatting then the small server will think so too. You will probably need to try to repair the filesystem on the disks. What filesystem were they using?

The Second Server was just an idea to read the info off the drives. I'm not sure if there is any way to recover data from them.

I attached the Smart Reports from the two drive in question. I have to admit, though, unless I see a glaring failure, I really don't know how to read them. They "look okay to me".

Disk1 = ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F1HJ1V-20151207-2151 (sorry, I noticed I typed 4TB in the first post; it should have been 3TB)

Disk5 = ST4000DM000-1F2168_Z300XJNY-20151207-2151

TYIA

ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F1HJ1V-20151207-2151.txt

ST4000DM000-1F2168_Z300XJNY-20151207-2151.txt

trurl, your quick. I was reading that very page and was about to post the results of the reiserfsck status check when I saw your reply.

Both drives respond with:[pre]reiserfsck 3.6.24 Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md5 Will put log info to 'stdout' The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem. If you have bad blocks, we advise you to get a new hard drive, because once you get one bad block  that the disk  drive internals  cannot hide from your sight,the chances of getting more are generally said to become much higher  (precise statistics are unknown to us), and  this disk drive is probably not expensive enough  for you to you to risk your time and  data on it.  If you don't want to follow that follow that advice then  if you have just a few bad blocks,  try writing to the bad blocks  and see if the drive remaps  the bad blocks (that means it takes a block  it has  in reserve  and allocates  it for use for of that block number).  If it cannot remap the block,  use badblock option (-B) with  reiserfs utils to handle this block correctly. bread: Cannot read the block (2): (Input/output error). [/pre](weird cut&paste)

The instructions a "Check Disk Filesystems" are extensive for reiserfsck --rebuild-sb (Rebuilding Superblock), but that doesn't seem to be what I'm instructed to do.

How do I "try writing to the bad blocks and see if the drive remaps the bad blocks"?

Also, is "use badblock option (-B) the same as the badblock command from http://linux.die.net/man/8/badblocks  or is there another command ing the reiserfs utils that I have to find?

TYIA

trurl, your quick. I was reading that very page and was about to post the results of the reiserfsck status check when I saw your reply.

Both drives respond with:[pre]reiserfsck 3.6.24 Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md5 Will put log info to 'stdout' The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem. If you have bad blocks, we advise you to get a new hard drive, because once you get one bad block  that the disk  drive internals  cannot hide from your sight,the chances of getting more are generally said to become much higher  (precise statistics are unknown to us), and  this disk drive is probably not expensive enough  for you to you to risk your time and  data on it.  If you don't want to follow that follow that advice then  if you have just a few bad blocks,  try writing to the bad blocks  and see if the drive remaps  the bad blocks (that means it takes a block  it has  in reserve  and allocates  it for use for of that block number).  If it cannot remap the block,  use badblock option (-B) with  reiserfs utils to handle this block correctly. bread: Cannot read the block (2): (Input/output error). [/pre](weird cut&paste)

The instructions a "Check Disk Filesystems" are extensive for reiserfsck --rebuild-sb (Rebuilding Superblock), but that doesn't seem to be what I'm instructed to do.

How do I "try writing to the bad blocks and see if the drive remaps the bad blocks"?

Also, is "use badblock option (-B) the same as the badblock command from http://linux.die.net/man/8/badblocks  or is there another command ing the reiserfs utils that I have to find?

TYIA

No personal experience with this, and little personal research either. Sorry. Maybe someone else will respond.

Archived