Possible to create read-only anonymous share?

thequinox

I would like to know if there's a way to set my user shares to read-only for everyone. I know you can do it if you set user level permissions, but in my house I don't use credentials to access my shares, they're just open. I've done some searching and it looks like back in version 4 you could set the export option to "Export Read-Only", however I didn't have that option in v5, and I just upgraded to v6.1 and don't see it either.

My array is almost full and I'd like to pull the parity drive and put in a bigger one to get ready to expand. However, I would like to set the array to read only during this so if there was another disk failure I could put the old parity drive back in and it would still be valid. I don't plan on using it much during the parity check, but they can take a while and I'd like to be able to grab some files if need be.

Does anyone know how to do this, or if there is a much more elegant solution to what I want?

Thanks,

Turn on Help and in SMB Settings for a share you will see

Summary of security modes:

Public All users including guests have full read/write access.

Secure All users including guests have read access, you select which of your users have write access.

Private No guest access at all, you select which of your users have read/write or read-only access.

These security settings have been around at least since V5.

Archived