Extra ethernet card

Hi, just ordered mine on Thursday (hoping to get some kind if shipping info soon from you Lime guys) and I think I only have one question..

I intend to use this as a complete HTPC/PVR server and will be having multiple feeds from this, into an autopatch for distribution.

Would it be better to install an extra ethernet card to handle this traffic or can the installed one handle up to 3-4 seperate feeds (2 x DVD and 2 x PVR)?

Yep, your going to have issues with this.  I bought it for the same reason and now only use it for backup storage.  I've had to go and buy more disks to put back into my HTPC in order to get good playback.  I'm hoping one day this will get fixed so I can use the big box in upstairs for what I bought it for :)

A single gigabit network connection is plenty fast enough to support 4 feeds, even at HDTV resolutions.  Currently the bottleneck is the UnRaid software.

Multiple simultaneous read streams (without any writes) should be ok, anyone having trouble with this?

Also, some success has been reported by having the writer be connected via 10/100 Mbit ethernet instead of GigE.  The problem is that we were so bent on optimizing writes that simultaneous video read streams stutter  >:(

A fix is in the works for this.

Tom,

I had four different video streams going at the same time from one unRaid server.

However, if I tried to stream the same video from one drive to two different clients, there were problems with file access when starting the second stream from the same file on the same drive.

Regards,

TCIII

• 3 weeks later...

I know there probably is not much more progress on this yet but I still have one more question to ask.

IF I did want to do this and NOT being a linux dude, how hard would it be to install it and which card would be recomended.

I still intend to have two discrete GBit networks and would like to put the second card in, even if it just for file transfers over the second network.

All of my HTPC's  and PC will both have two GBit cards in them.

Thanks.

Brit