Hi! I'm Daze

daze

Hi guys.

Awesome community. I work in valley, and fluent (to an intermediate level) in Linux. Been using Ubuntu since 2007 using mdadm to build a hand crafted NAS. Learned a lot in the process. Then I gave up the RAID5 stuff, because it's just silly for my storage purposes. Just want to upgrade to big drives as they become available... So started using Snapraid. Not bad, but not real time.

Unraid is a bit costly, but much prefer it to FreeNAS or OMV, etc. So I decide to pull the plug with the Plus version, and having a blast playing with it. Works for me, but quite slow on my aged Acer easyStore (1 Atom processor). I really don't need it to be blazing fast. Could build a new server, so just looking at different HW and best bang for the buck. I have an i5 Intel NUC with a 500GB SSD running Ubuntu 14.04, 2 dockers on it, and of course, an external Seagate 5TB drive. Plenty fast, low power and just super awesome. Also have an Raspberry Pi 1 and 2.

Just bought a Steam Link. Should be interesting to see how it actually performs over my TP-LINK based adapters to carry my LAN over the electrical. Roughly 80Mbps real world speeds, so not bad and way better and stable than my Apple 802.11AC wireless router/switch. Also have a EdgeRouter Lite X which does the actual routing, which is quite awesome.

So that's most of my setup. Except I'm looking to get an external BluRay drive that can do M-DISC and 3X Layer discs. Though I'd store only valuable documents and photos on the M-DISCs.

Anyone have a similar setup?

Anyways, HI again!

Welcome!

unRAID doesn't need a lot of processor for basic NAS duties, but unRAID 6 does prefer at least a dual core.  unRAID also does well on older hardware.

If you're going to build a new server it's worth looking at what else you can do with unRAID.  Between Dockers and VMs you can turn your NAS into a very effective home application server.  If you go that route you'll want to throw more CPU and memory at it, though.

Archived