SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 - $79.99 plus free ship and docking bay

bubbaQ

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA drive

$79.99 and free shipping.

Plus a 2.5" & 3.5" SATA to USB2.0 Hard Drive Docking station for free.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.272964

I just received one of these, and the drive runs 5 degrees C cooler than the WD 1TB green drives in the cage on either side.  Even when burning it in and preclearing it, it stayed cooler than the WD green drives that were SPUN DOWN!

I just received one of these, and the drive runs 5 degrees C cooler than the WD 1TB green drives in the cage on either side.  Even when burning it in and preclearing it, it stayed cooler than the WD green drives that were SPUN DOWN!

This always has me wondering if it's placement of the temperature sensor or drive mechanics.

I have a 750GB Sammy in my system and it is also about 5-8C cooler then the others in my system.  None of mine are green drives but still.  The Sammy is usually around the 25-27C and the other are around the 33-35C.

The next drive I get will probably be a 2TB Sammy (if/when they release one).  If they don't get one out by the time I need one then I will probably grab one of there 1.5TB versions.

Well, Sammy needs to learn how to calibrate.  here is the smartctl output:

190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022  077  074  000    Old_age  Always      -      23 (Lifetime Min/Max 23/23)

194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  080  073  000    Old_age  Always      -      19 (Lifetime Min/Max 19/23)

The hottest I can get the Sammy under continuous load is 23C.

Only problem is that the ambient temp is 26.5C

It is cooler than the other drives to the touch, but it can't be below ambient.

Spundown WD Drives, as reported by smartctl, are between 25 and 28C.

Spunup WD drives are 30-32C

Archived