Critique first unraid build.

user457453944

https://secure.scan.co.uk/web/savedbasket/shareddetails/b9d82d1dd52944acaaafc1736343b48c

Up to now only ever used HDDs inside my own pc, 3 of them failed no backups etc etc. This server is going to do heavy plex transcoding (2/3 streams- MKV 15mbs to ipads and crap). I also plan to run many dockers like deluge to act as my seedbox, mumble/TS etc (Going to add more of course) and Ill be running at least one VM a lot (Remotely).

If I end up adding more drives in the future I will buy a proper SATA port card.

EDIT: Just realized guess ill add more detail. The WD SE 4TB is to be my parity and the other three spindle drives are for my array and of course the SSD for cache.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slightly puzzled by your choice of hard disks. Your post mentions four but your wishlist only shows three. I personally find it odd that you've chosen three different models and two different capacities. If I wanted to start out with just 6 TB of capacity (as your 3 TB WD Red Pro and your 3 TB HGST NAS, plus 4 TB WD Re parity disk will give you) I'd simply buy a pair of 6 TB WD Reds (WD60EFRX), one for parity and one for data. Then, as my needs grew I'd add more knowing that there's plenty of room for expansion and a large enough parity drive.

I can't really comment on your other hardware as I don't understand your VM requirements.

Archived