Download Torrent to Cache or directly to Array?

limefrog

• I seed a lot of torrents (at least 3TB worth) so I cannot keep all of my torrents on my cache drive (500 GB SSD). I want to minimize the number of disks running so I am restricting all seeded torrents to a user share "download" that is restricted to a single 6TB disk on my array.

I would like to download new torrents to my cache instead of directly to the array to prevent the parity drive from spinning the entire time torrents are downloading. However, the mover script won't move completed torrents on the cache to the array because I think seeded torrents are considered "open," and the mover script does not move "open" files.

• How do I solve this problem? Should I change my workflow and just write torrents directly to the array instead of the cache?

• Is an alternative solution to write torrents to an incomplete folder on the cache, and have Deluge move completed torrents to the user share "download?" This would essentially remove the need of a mover script for torrents I think.

• I seed a lot of torrents (at least 3TB worth) so I cannot keep all of my torrents on my cache drive (500 GB SSD). I want to minimize the number of disks running so I am restricting all seeded torrents to a user share "download" that is restricted to a single 6TB disk on my array.

I would like to download new torrents to my cache instead of directly to the array to prevent the parity drive from spinning the entire time torrents are downloading. However, the mover script won't move completed torrents on the cache to the array because I think seeded torrents are considered "open," and the mover script does not move "open" files.

• How do I solve this problem? Should I change my workflow and just write torrents directly to the array instead of the cache?

• Is an alternative solution to write torrents to an incomplete folder on the cache, and have Deluge move completed torrents to the user share "download?" This would essentially remove the need of a mover script for torrents I think.[/li]

Maybe this, but it depends on how exactly you config it.

incomplete needs to be cache only, so that mover never attempts to move it.

download should not use cache at all (Which is to say your letting Deluge play the role of mover to bypass the problem your having with mover).

If you want everythign on a specific disk I would instead of pointing Deluge at /mnt/user/download I would give it /mnt/disk6/download ...

Maybe this, but it depends on how exactly you config it.

incomplete needs to be cache only, so that mover never attempts to move it.

download should not use cache at all (Which is to say your letting Deluge play the role of mover to bypass the problem your having with mover).

If you want everythign on a specific disk I would instead of pointing Deluge at /mnt/user/download I would give it /mnt/disk6/download ...

Thanks, I did as you suggested, but changed some user share names around.

I made /downloads a cache only user share.

Under /downloads, I have folders: movies, music, torrents, tv shows

I keep torrent files on /downloads/torrents and point torrents to download to /downloads/movies (or music or tv shows)

I made /torrents a disk1 only user share.

Under /torrents, I made a folder /torrents/seeds

When torrents finish downloading to the cache, Deluge moves the data files to /torrents/seeds/movies (or music or tv shows) so that the data files can continue seeding for ratio. This workflow removes my need to a mover script.

I then ensure that sonarr or couchpotato don't remove torrent files so they can continue seeding.

If someone has a better workflow, please share :)

Archived