We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

unRAID as primary OS on gaming laptop

Hi,

I just discovered unRAID and I'd like to know if its possible to use it like Qubes to run multiple systems at a time from the "console". Ie does it have a window manager like Qubes or will i have to reassign my GPU every time i want to switch to a different machine? I have a very powerful laptop (desktop CPU with VT-d and VT-x, 32GB of ram etc) so performance is not an issue.

I want to be able to install Windows 10 and basically "alt-tab" to Linux or perhaps Mac OS + use all the other unRAID features I've read about.

Bonus question: Does each VM running require its own GPU or can i assign my GPU to Windows but still have another OS running in software mode and freely switch the GPU between the machines?

I do not think a laptop is going to be any good in this role.  KVM does not work with integrated graphics (at the moment at least) and there needs to be a GPU that is available for unRAID purposes (typically the integrated GPU is used for this) even though unRAID itself can be run headless.

Also once you have passed a GPU to a VM then that GPU is not available for either another VM or unRAID until the VM is closed down.  You can RDP from one VM to another one but that does not sound like what you are looking for..

I wanted to passthough a gpu on a laptop once (not using unraid) when using linux to a vm. But i had probs because although it had 2 gpus, being optimus all display is passed through the gpu built into the cpu. so never got it working. Also i heard you cant use the screen on laptop for gpu passthough you have to use a separate monitor out.

Maybe someone else knows more. I always wanted to run a vm with passthrough on a laptop aswell

• 1 month later...

Just a note here. I'm guessing that your laptop still has an integrated GPU in the processor as well as the standalone 980 GTX GPU. If so then I think you could get UNRAID working, but you'd need a few drives in order for everything to run correctly. Perhaps you could use an SD card for your cache drive.

On your original question, I don't think you'll have as slick a way to tab between VM's as you do with Qubes and AFAIK your GPU can only be assigned to one machine at a time.

I'd never heard of Qubes before. Might well be worth looking at for my Macbook Pro. Could be a way for me to run OSX and Windows and Linux side by side. Going to try it out. Think my hardware stacks up and has all the right extension. Thanks to OP for alerting me to its existence.

• 6 years later...
On 2/20/2016 at 9:44 AM, webrob123 said:
On 1/4/2016 at 12:18 AM, maciekish said:

Hi,

I just discovered unRAID and I'd like to know if its possible to use it like Qubes to run multiple systems at a time from the "console". Ie does it have a window manager like Qubes or will i have to reassign my GPU every time i want to switch to a different machine? I have a very powerful laptop (desktop CPU with VT-d and VT-x, 32GB of ram etc) so performance is not an issue.

I want to be able to install Windows 10 and basically "alt-tab" to Linux or perhaps Mac OS + use all the other unRAID features I've read about.

Bonus question: Does each VM running require its own GPU or can i assign my GPU to Windows but still have another OS running in software mode and freely switch the GPU between the machines?

I also had a question. My question is can I run unraid, multi os purpose on this Asus this gaming series: https://mcsolution.com.bd/gaming-laptop/asus-gaming/asus-tuf-a15/ . If yes, Is there anything required to run it multi os and before starting, what setup should I have to do. I am seeking the attention of a community expert. If it possible, please share with me. Thank in Advance

Edited by rkric258
  • 4 months later...

In addition, I had a query. Can I use this on Lenovo Legion 5 Pro gaming series: https://computermania.com.bd/product-category/lenovo/lenovo-legion-5-pro-price-in-bangladesh/ with unraid and several operating systems? If so, is there any special preparation I need to do before running it on many operating systems? I'm trying to get a local authority's notice. If you can, kindly share with me. I appreciate it.

I came across this topic and it relates to a project I am working on. I'm installing unraid on a old Asus i7 laptop and was hoping to be able to nano edit the systemd/logind .conf and adjust the lid actions so I could run with the lid close.  That seems to be different on unraid. Any suggestions?

Edited by PilotReelMedia