Seagate's 10TB drive

c3

No mention of cost. This thing is going to be expensive!

Seems to me that SSDs have gone from 64M to 2T with drastic reduction in $/G in the same time that spinners have gone from 4T to 8T with meager cost reductions. And SSDs have no practical upper limit on size. The HD guys had better start competing in the SSD market or hire some damn good engineers to figure out how to double and then double again the HD capacities, and continue to drive down cost, or the SSDs will be knocking on the door before you know it!

With no mechanical wear and potentially a very long lifetime compared to spinners, SSD may turn into tremendous value play for unRAID servers over the next 5 years.

I would have to agree with demon. As an example the new Samsung 16TB SSD sounds good in principal but none of us can afford it so when you look at normal priced SSD's that are affordable to the general public, spinners will be around for a long time simply from a cost standpoint. Now when 10TB SSD's become viable for long term data storage at $300, wake me up. Till then I will continue to use spinners.

I do have to wonder what we will see in terms of spinner price and density in the future. It seems unthinkable that WD or Seagate will release a 15TB or 20TB drive. But they will have to in order to remain relevant. It seems unthinkable but we all felt that way about the first 1TB drive all those years ago.

No mention of cost. This thing is going to be expensive!

Seems to me that SSDs have gone from 64M to 2T with drastic reduction in $/G in the same time that spinners have gone from 4T to 8T with meager cost reductions. And SSDs have no practical upper limit on size. The HD guys had better start competing in the SSD market or hire some damn good engineers to figure out how to double and then double again the HD capacities, and continue to drive down cost, or the SSDs will be knocking on the door before you know it!

With no mechanical wear and potentially a very long lifetime compared to spinners, SSD may turn into tremendous value play for unRAID servers over the next 5 years.

Until Limetech can determine (or implement) background TRIM / Garbage Collection does or does not clobber Parity SSD's are not viable for unRAID arrays.

SSDs can and do wear out with write cycles (much better than the used to be, but still happens), but the nature of unRAID is that the media drives are nearly WORM. So unRAID data disks wont have the kind of heavy write cycles that cause the wear.

I would think that SSDs would have very long lifetimes if writes were scarce after the drive was filled.

If an SSD cost twice as much but has a significantly longer, trouble free lifetime, maybe they will be worth the premium. Is there any reliability data on SSD lifetimes if writes are few?

As for the TRIM function - necessity is the mother of invention. In other words, when it is needed it will come.