Help on Motherboard and CPU for my first build of unRaid

Hey guys...  i'm new on Lime's forum and also in Lime's  unraid system.

First of all, i need to congratulate Lime tech.. this unraid solution is outstanding ! First time i heard of it was on youtube in Linus Tech channel (2 gamers 1 PC). Have to confess, that blew my head.

well, let's end the BS talking and get to the point....

I'm from Brazil, so my main problem here is pricing (our current exchange today is 1 USD  = 4,5 Brazil local currency).

My equipment today is:

MB: ASUS M4N68T-M LE

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor

Mem: 8GB non ECC 1333 (to be confirmed)

GCPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series 2gb

SSD: KINGSTON 240GB

HDD: SAMSUNG 1TB and Seagate Barracuda 1TB

I also have a Dlink NAS-320 with 2x 2TB Seagates Barracuda in Raid 1.

After a lot of research I assumed that my current harware (except maybe Memory and GCPU) doesn't fit my needs to use unRaid for gaming, NAS and Media Stream on the same box.

Another "issue" here in Brazil is the weather, it's too dam HOT and i dont have Air Conditionator on my room, so even today with 5 Fan's on my case, i still have leave my case open, or else my gear would overheat.

I dont have a lot of buget, let's consider an USD500 buget to a Motherboard and a CPU (if my current parts could be of any use).

I'm considering Intel or AMD platforms. We can be very creative on the solution here, any crazy idea will be welcome...

Thanks a lot, in advance...

Another "issue" here in Brazil is the weather, it's too dam HOT and i dont have Air Conditionator on my room, so even today with 5 Fan's on my case, i still have leave my case open, or else my gear would overheat.
Hate to be "that guy" but if your gear runs cooler with the case open, something is set up wrong. Check to make sure there are no fans that are moving air without forcing it over the components. It's common to have an intake and an exhaust fan in the same open path with no ducting, which means warm stagnant air gets stuck in the case while a breeze is zooming right by. Air will take the path of least resistance, you must force it to go where you need it.

In a fileserver with lots of hard drives, typically you need to allocate all the intake air to the drive bays, all other fans need to be exhaust so it forces the intake airflow through the gaps between the drives.

Also, since heat is a major concern, intel is going to be a better choice for you than amd. Given two processors of similar processing speed, the intel will typically shed half as much heat.

Hey jonathanm...  many thanks for the reply....

Regarding the temperature issue, i've never thought that... i'll review my current installation and get back to you later...

About the AMD and Intel subject... I agree with you: Intel is "cooler" and i'm considering expend a few extra bucks for that.. But, the issue is pricing. Here in Brazil an 6th gen CPU is 8k Brazilian currency. this will exceed my budget in 6k (LOL).

I'm considering using 4th gen CPU, but i have no clue which model (and corresponding motherboard) has the better cost/benefit to my usage.

Could you, or some other good and benevolent soul, give me a miraculous setup?

Tks again guys... 

Hey guys, I'm back...

i spent all morning, searching the best cost benefit hardware, and after a while i came with this setup:

MB: ASUS Z97M-PLUS

CPU: Intel i7 4790

Mem: 8gb Fury 1866mhz

The rest i'll use from my old gear.

What you guys think? will it fit to my needs? i got untill next week to decide.. 

Good CPU for unRAID.  The ASUS Z97M-PLUS is a good consumer motherboard but you're paying for features you may not use as a server.  Also, I can't find any indication whether it supports VT-d.  That would limit your virtualization options, especially for gaming.  8GB is fine for basic NAS duties and some Dockers, but I'd go with 16GB if you plan on running some serious VMs (i.e. gaming).

Hey tdallen.. tks for the reply..

could you be more specific when you say "features you may not use as a server" ?  what other MB recommendation you could give me?

Regarding RAM, i agree with you that 8gb is low, but i'm considering using my old 8gb that has lower mhz (1333) untill i have more money to buy onother 8gb of 1866mhz..

it's not the best solution, but the budget is an issue here... = (

tks again

Hey.. just check

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005758.html

and confirmed that Z97 isn't compatible with VT-D.. 

Guys..  i need help to find a compatible MOBO....  please help ?

Yeah the specs from Intel say no, but board manufacturers enable the function (somehow/someway).

There are a LOT of people here using Z87/Z97 chipsets with Vt-d (I used to be one with a Z97 Extreme4).

ASRock and Asus seem to be the most likely to support it, Gigabyte does on some also, you really just need to check the MB manual to see if they enable it or not.

For a worry free "recommended" setup for pass through, the current recommendation is that the processor supports ACS on root ports, but this is pricey.

Minimum i7 is the "Extreme" version, and an E5 Xeon (not E3).

You should be fine with a 4790, and a Z97 (with a board that supports Vt-d), however the assignments of device grouping (CGroups) is hit or miss.

Basically, you have to pass ALL devices in the same group, or the VM will not work.

If you have a bunch of stuff in the same group and you can't pass all of it to that VM or "stub" it (meaning you don't use it), then you have the option to use the ACS downstream patch (you'll see the option in UnRaid under the VM or settings page) to divide items into their own groups, however this could cause issues and is not the preferred way.

Input from other users on their Z97 boards that work well would be very useful.

The ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 is a very popular choice, however it may have the grouping issue and need for the patch.

A lot of people use the ACS downstream option without issues, however there is more information in the wiki in regards to its use.

There is also some recommended hardware that Limetech has tested in the wiki, but it is not a lot compared to what is available.

• 5 weeks later...

hey guys, i'm back.

After a long time of research, i've concluded that here in Brazil Intel platform is too expensive. So i'm moving to AMD platform and i need your feedback regarding the equippent that i've come across...

These are the CPU's i've found good price here...

AMD FX-8350 Vishera, Cache 8MB, 4.0GHz (4.2Ghz Max Turbo) AM3

AMD FX-8320 Vishera Eight-Core, Cache 8MB, 3.5GHz, AM3+

AMD FX 8320E Octa Core, Black Edition, Cache 16MB, 3.2GHz (4.0GHz Max Turbo) AM3+

AMD FX 8370E Octa Core, Black Edition, Cache 16MB, 3.3GHz (4.3GHz Max Turbo) AM3+

AMD FX 8370 Octa Core, Black Edition, Cache 16MB, 4.0GHz (4.3GHz Max Turbo) AM3+

And here are the MOBO's

ASRock ATX 970 Extreme3

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

ASUS M5A97 R2.0

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 R5

Would some one could give me a Tip ??  Just to remeber, my rig is going to run NAS, Media Server and Gaming.

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, i'm back.

After a long time of research, i've concluded that here in Brazil Intel platform is too expensive. So i'm moving to AMD platform and i need your feedback regarding the equippent that i've come across...

These are the CPU's i've found good price here...

AMD FX-8350 Vishera, Cache 8MB, 4.0GHz (4.2Ghz Max Turbo) AM3

AMD FX-8320 Vishera Eight-Core, Cache 8MB, 3.5GHz, AM3+

AMD FX 8320E Octa Core, Black Edition, Cache 16MB, 3.2GHz (4.0GHz Max Turbo) AM3+

AMD FX 8370E Octa Core, Black Edition, Cache 16MB, 3.3GHz (4.3GHz Max Turbo) AM3+

AMD FX 8370 Octa Core, Black Edition, Cache 16MB, 4.0GHz (4.3GHz Max Turbo) AM3+

And here are the MOBO's

ASRock ATX 970 Extreme3

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

ASUS M5A97 R2.0

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 R5

Would some one could give me a Tip ??  Just to remeber, my rig is going to run NAS, Media Server and Gaming.

thanks again

I've use a Biostar TA970 v1 & v3 and an Asus 990FX R2.0 (not Sabertooth) with a FX-6300 and have had AMD-Vi/IOMMU supported on both (Intel VT-d equivalent). I would recommend the 990FX just for the x8 slots over the x1 slots down the road as many controller cards use x4 slots. The 970 only has two x16 and two x1 slots, which you can find x1 controller cards but the x4/x8 cards have better throughput.

However, at less than half the price the 970 may be the better choice, you guys really do get screwed on anything not made in Brazil...

I thought AMD CPU were not supporting Vt-d???

Where are you in Brazil?

Hey french-Guy...  i'm from São Paulo, and Yes here all things are outrageously expensive... And Yes, METDeath, I'm F*#@* screwed here in brazil.. haha..

Well... unfortunately we dont have BIOSTAR MOBO...

But the ASUS you mentioned, isn't a bad idea...  it's 300 bucks cheaper than sabertooth.... (in local exchange of course... for u will be like 10 dollars, haha)

one question METDeath... did you run it with Gaming VT and Media Stream VT with this gear ?

FX 6300 can handle the load? or should i go for 8350e ?

Thanks again guys....  regards

Too bad I don't have any business trip in Brazil/SP

I would have brought you a CPU.......

When I arrived in Brazil and saw the prices, I prayed that none of my "high tech" equipment (TV, computers, routers, tablets, etc...) will fail. Otherwise, replacing it would have been............painful :-\ :-\ :-\

I thought AMD CPU were not supporting Vt-d???

Where are you in Brazil?

Hey french-Guy...  i'm from São Paulo, and Yes here all things are outrageously expensive... And Yes, METDeath, I'm F*#@* screwed here in brazil.. haha..

Well... unfortunately we dont have BIOSTAR MOBO...

But the ASUS you mentioned, isn't a bad idea...  it's 300 bucks cheaper than sabertooth.... (in local exchange of course... for u will be like 10 dollars, haha)

one question METDeath... did you run it with Gaming VT and Media Stream VT with this gear ?

FX 6300 can handle the load? or should i go for 8350e ?

Thanks again guys....  regards

I was using it for an HTPC VM (GPU + NIC), firewall (dual port NIC), and backup file server on the 990FX.

I also used a 970 for an HTPC (GPU only), with two addon controller cards, so only had an x1 slot free.

The 8 core would be useful if you plan to run multiple VMs, plus the single core performance is marginally better.