Nvidia Gamestream/Moonlight on VM

After buying a GTX970 and a PCI-E16x to PCI-E8x cable, I startet the journey to flawless gamestreaming from unraid VM (Win10) to my living room (Nvidia Shield TV). But after hours of configuration work with graphic settings, EDID override (no 1080p 60Hz option in monitor EDID file) and Moonlight settings , I got somehow frustrated that there were still hickups and stuttering in video and audio. There was a 4ms latency signalled by moonlight, but driving a racing sim with a racing wheel (directly connected to the server per 10m active usb cable), I could clearly feel and see that there was a latency of at least 200ms.

After thinking it through again, I set up my VM xml file to passthrough the second NIC on my motherboard, deactivatet the network bridge in Win10 VM, and all problems gone! It seems you have to use a physical NIC to use the gamestream feature, at least it solved all problems in my case. ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I had it working flawlessly for a few days with moonlight on my sony tablet with ps4 controller paired to tablet, until last night when sound started stuttering.

I will try your idea but may have to try using a usb nic adaptor connected by usb controller passthrough.

However i noticed this morning the sound is choppy on games not streamed aswell. So will trouble shoot that first. An nvidea driver update was installed on my vm a couple of days back so will go back to earlier driver and see if that helps me.

• 2 years later...