Benchmarking KVM performance on UnRAID 6.1.7

outsider

I was curious how well the virtualization works under unraid KVM. Mainly how well the GPU passthrough works, so I did a quick test.

I ran the PC Mark benchmarking software. It runs for 5 minutes then spits out some numbers for CPU, GPU, and a bunch of other system components.

For reference, I am using a FX-6300 CPU with a GTX 560Ti GPU.

Win10 on baremetal:

CPU score: 6658

GPU score: 3746

Win10 on UnRaid hypervisor (SeaBIOS, i440fx)

CPU score: 5562

GPU score: 1880

The CPU performance I can live with (10ish% lower) but the GPU performance is half. Not very cool.

More testing is required but so far I'm not too happy.

Has anyone else done any benchmarking?

I have been doing the same recently and haven't found such a big difference although I was using the Asus Realbench suite.

The GPU based benchmark was the same, the CPU was about 95% if I remember.  Let me try setting up the same machine again and run the same as you.

My testing was on an Intel X58 platform, will also test on a new X99 setup as I should be able to tweak the xml.  Afraid I don't have anything AMD (other than an AM2 setup).

Not seeing PC Mark 7 or 8 give results like you have, are you sure that is the software you used?  Is there somewhere specific in the results to get the CPU / GPU breakdown, I may be missing something.

Happy to try and run comparisons if you can give me specifics, I would guess you have something wrong with your setup/installation on the VM.

Archived