Best way to move existing Unraid drives to a new server build

Hi there,

im planing to move all my data from my existing server (dell t30) to a new custom build with more space for harddrives.

Is it still the best working way, to just change the usb drive and the hard drives into tne new build? So that I will not lose any date or config files?

10 hours ago, Toobie said:

Is it still the best working way, to just change the usb drive and the hard drives into tne new build? So that I will not lose any date or config files?

You can move your flash drive and Unraid disks to new hardware and things should work just as before, assuming you don't have disk controller compatibility issues.

10 hours ago, Toobie said:

from my existing server (dell t30) to a new custom build

Any RAID controllers involved in either system? This is one of many reasons RAID controllers are NOT recommended with Unraid.

Also, if you passthru any hardware to VMs you will of course have to revisit that on new hardware.

13 hours ago, trurl said:

You can move your flash drive and Unraid disks to new hardware and things should work just as before, assuming you don't have disk controller compatibility issues.

Any RAID controllers involved in either system? This is one of many reasons RAID controllers are NOT recommended with Unraid.

Also, if you passthru any hardware to VMs you will of course have to revisit that on new hardware.

Im using a LSI SAS9228-8i on IT-Mode Controller in the Dell T30 at the moment.

My new build is a x10srl-f with enough sata onboard-ports so I may skip the controller or for reasons I will still using this card.

6 hours ago, Toobie said:

Im using a LSI SAS9228-8i on IT-Mode Controller in the Dell T30 at the moment.

My new build is a x10srl-f with enough sata onboard-ports so I may skip the controller or for reasons I will still using this card.

Not familiar with that motherboard, says Intel® C612 controller for 10 SATA3 (6 Gbps) ports; RAID 0,1,5,10. If it will let you use it without any of the RAID modes it should be OK.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, trurl said:

Not familiar with that motherboard, says Intel® C612 controller for 10 SATA3 (6 Gbps) ports; RAID 0,1,5,10. If it will let you use it without any of the RAID modes it should be OK.

I will post updates after swap, but need some time for this, may next year.