We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Is this possible? Virtualisation with independent IP's

Lookeh

Hi Everyone,

couple of questions for you guys just to see if what I'm planning is possible, I'm totally new to the concept of virtualisation in unRAID so any help is appreciated (and please bear with me if my concept is totally wrong).

Background;

In my work place, we currently run 2 servers, one which is domain, AD, exchange(now defunct), billing and storage. The second is much older and is run for Billing.

I have build and implemented a nas to take some load off the domain server, and we no longer use exchange, but the software that was installed originally on it (Win SBS 2011) bloats it.

The older server we had recently suffered a drive failure, 2 drives in a Raid 5 SAS (eek..) but fortunately the data was backed up, my point being, this server is showing it's age.

Currently there are 2 machines each running a copy of the billing software, this is because they are for different areas (UK on on Rep Ireland on the other), the billing software requires SQL server per version which is why they are split over 2 machines.

Plan:

What I'd like to do it use the virtualisation of unRAID to run 2 win VM's and run the UK billing on one and the ROI billing on the other. Now I'm pretty sure this much is possible.

What I'd like is for each VM to have it's own IP (2 independent NICs?!) for both remote access and for the online billing portion of the software (external access). If I can't have that I'd settle for someway to access each VM remotely but also for 1 of the VM's to be accessed externally.

So... my questions;

Is it possible to differentiate the 2 VM's over the network and are either of the 2 IP/Network scenarios above possible.

Is the initial part of my plan as achievable as I think it is.

Could I add each VM to the domain (I'm assuming yes as I can with VM's through other VM software)

This would then give me 1 machine running both billing softwares, 1 Server for AD, domain, dns etc and then the NAS box which is pretty ideal for me from a admin POV.

Thanks in advance,

Yes each VM can be assigned different IP addresses, and yes you can pass through a NIC to each VM.

How? :)

You mention two NIC's, but is this really a requirement or just two virtual NIC's and different IP addresses?  If you set up bridged networking in unRAID which allows for virtual NICs, then each VM appears directly on the LAN and can get its own IP address (sharing the one physical NIC used by unRAID).

If you really need two physical NIC's, then your hardware has to support the VT-d virtualisation feature so that you can pass the physical NIC through to the VMs.

Yes each VM can be assigned different IP addresses, and yes you can pass through a NIC to each VM.

You mention two NIC's, but is this really a requirement or just two virtual NIC's and different IP addresses?  If you set up bridged networking in unRAID which allows for virtual NICs, then each VM appears directly on the LAN and can get its own IP address (sharing the one physical NIC used by unRAID).

If you really need two physical NIC's, then your hardware has to support the VT-d virtualisation feature so that you can pass the physical NIC through to the VMs.

Dang.....but thanks for the info :)

I guess I just will spare my 2Intel NICs for then I will change out the MB of the computer I use now that does not support VT-d

You mention two NIC's, but is this really a requirement or just two virtual NIC's and different IP addresses?  If you set up bridged networking in unRAID which allows for virtual NICs, then each VM appears directly on the LAN and can get its own IP address (sharing the one physical NIC used by unRAID).  From your original statement of requirements it sounded as if that might be enough to do what you want to do.

?

Dang.....but thanks for the info :)

I guess I just will spare my 2Intel NICs for then I will change out the MB of the computer I use now that does not support VT-d

Just to repeat (in case it is not obvious) you do not need two physical NIC's for each VM to get its own IP address.  On my unRAID server I have about 6 VM's I can run and they all get their own IP address despite the fact I only have one physical NIC so can be accessed independently of each other without any problems.

This is why you create a network dridge and assign that bridge (typically br0) in VM Manager.  That way your VMs can be assigned IPs (either dynamic or static) by your router.  If you do not specify the bridge in the VM Manager settings, your VMs will live on their own private network.

Archived