We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

OVFM\UEFI - Win10 - Nvidia GPU Pass-through - Issues

Acps

Ok, I am trying to setup a Win10 UEFI VM with a GeForce 750TI pass-through. I have my motherboard set to use the onboard display by default. And I have a PCI-e x16 slots with my Nvidia and a PCI-e x4 with a AOC-SASLP-MV8.

Now to start, I have a monitor setup only for testing with an HDMI cable ran to my Nvidia card. Getting the display up on my monitor has never really been an issue, I always see the bios atleast. From there several different things has happened. I have successfully installed Windows10 and had current Nvidia drivers up and running, it was all rather smoothly. The first problem I ran into was after an unRaid sever reboot, when I launched my VM it did not see my Vdisk right off the bat, it seems to have lost the linux drivers you have to manually install. I am able to run Windows10 setup again, and get to the part where I can install drivers and stop when they are all loaded. At this point I can see my C: with all my contents, and I can back out to repair my computer. However I cannot get Windows 10 to boot again after this begins, I have to do a fresh install.

The next issue I have ran into was the looping bios, where the OVMF displays the bios boot screen for about 10 secs and reboots, endlessly. I have at several points saved my xml when working and tried to use that to get back to a working state, but this never works either. I have to start from scratch to get back to a Windows10 desktop.

Ironically I have yet to have GPU issues specifically, whether or not all of this is related to the GPU I don't know yet. I have tried booting VNC after having issues and this does not make a difference. While I do not mind working through some issues, banging my head against the wall is time consuming. The Windows10 install process is the longest part of all this and having to do that each time I cannot boot can take atleast an hour+.

So a few questions, first being anyone have any exp with OVMF and Win10?

Second, how can I keep my vdisk intact and rebuild a VM using that vdisk so I can skip the install process? Can I switch between OVMF and SeaBios with the same vdisk?

Is there a way to fix the driver issue I am getting where my VM cannot boot the vdisk due to drivers not being loaded?

P.S. I have attached a few syslogs that might help.

Appreciate the help in advanced, thanks guys!

acps-syslog.zip

I have OVMF/Win10 setup as well.  One thing I found was that after the initial OS install, I had to edit the VM config to remove the OS install iso and the virtio drivers iso.  It seemed like OVMF was trying to boot from those instead of the vdisk.  Taking then out of the VM config fixed that for me.

Archived