Preclear hung up after 31 hours.

I have attempted to preclear a 4tb Toshiba drive. twice. It has failed twice at the exact same stopt. The drive is brand new. Installed it as parity, without preclearing first. After a few hours of parity sync, I would find the disk with a  Red X, disabled. It get no useful info in the putty/preclear screen. It just froze, text pasted below.

Also the web ui is inaccessible after the preclear failure, reboot is required to restore. This is anew build with all brand new parts. Log attached device in question is Y5OAKE1QFSAA (sdb) 3907018584.

Disk Temperature: 36C, Elapsed Time:  30:57:43

1907719+10 records in

1907718+10 records out

4000784932864 bytes (4.0 TB) copied, 62088.4 s, 64.4 MB/s

Wrote  4,000,784,932,864  bytes out of  4,000,787,030,016  bytes (99% Done)

unRAID server Pre-Clear disk /dev/sdb

=              cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 1

= Disk Pre-Clear-Read completed                                DONE

= Step 1 of 10 - Copying zeros to first 2048k bytes            DONE

= Step 2 of 10 - Copying zeros to remainder of disk to clear it

=  **** This will take a while... you can follow progress below:

=

Disk Temperature: 36C, Elapsed Time:  30:57:43

1907719+10 records in

1907718+10 records out

4000784932864 bytes (4.0 TB) copied, 62088.4 s, 64.4 MB/s

Wrote  4,000,784,932,864  bytes out of  4,000,787,030,016  bytes (99% Done)

loopcerv-diagnostics-20160309-1904.zip

All the drives appearing in your diagnostics appear to be drives you have already assigned so the drive you are talking about seems to be missing. Can you access its SMART attributes and post them?

Tje drive is the parity drive. I unassigned to run Preclear.

I see that sdb has only negotiated a 1.5 Gb/s link with its controller, ata3, while other disks have full 6 Gb/s SATA links. Perhaps you have a cable problem?

Mar  9 18:36:32 Loopcerv kernel: ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)

I am using reverse breakout cables in a 12bay NAS case. I have 3 cables and all bays are connected. Only tow cables are in use. So I think good test would be to pull the cable attached to Sdb and swap it for the one attached to the empty bays. I think the cable is the likely culprit. I put another new drive in the same bay today, and it also went device disabled  om the UI. Its gonna be a PITA tho. I have remove the fan wall the Norco to get to the cables. Will do tonight or tomorrow.

You have a plugin, Aesir, which to my understanding is an incomplete work in progress. Probably not the issue but you might try removing it.

I put that on just to take a look. After I replace the cable, im starting clean without plugins.

You need to take a SMART report of the disk in question. If that doesn't reveal anything, try running the long self-test.

I ran the Long smart test and it completed without errors.

You ran a short SMART test, you should run the extended test.

BTW,  all you other Toshiba disks have a lot of realocatted sectors, not a problem per se but keep an eye on those values.

I looks like the cable was the issue. Parity sync is in progress for a couple of hours. Before  with the other cable, it would disable the disk after a half hour or so. This is what you get when you buy the cheapest cables you can fine. These were 15 bucks. Saved a few buck in exchange for hours of aggravation.  Thanks very much for your attention and help.