New user, first build. Just saying hi!

jonesy8485

Hey everyone. I just finished my build last weekend. Photos are below.

Specs as follows:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5

Mobo: Asus P8Z77 LK

CPU: Intel i5 3570k

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skills PC1600

Parity: 3TB WD Red

Cache: PNY CS2111 240GB

Array: 6x2TB WD RE4-GP 2TB (12TB)

Additional SATA controller: IOCrest SI-PEX40064 (88SE9215 chipset)

Additional case fans: 3x Cooler Master R4 Series Silent 140mm (2 front intake, one bottom intake)

UPS: Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD

So far running Plex, plexpy, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, NZBget in docker.

Currently I'm only using 2 of the 2TB drives, the 3TB parity and 240GB cache. I'm running preclears as we speak on the other drives. I got the drives used on here, but one is crashing pre-clear. 4 drives, including that one, were giving some SMART errors, but one cleared up after pre-clear and running extended SMART, so I'm going to do the same on these, other than the one that's crashing.

Today I installed the 3 additional fans, internal USB header, and migrated to the UPS and successfully tested auto-shutdown.

Things I still need to do:

Figure out if possible and how-to automatically start the array on boot

Migrate my murmur server over to this setup

Setup reverse proxy

Devise method for booting (wake on LAN?) and starting array upon power coming back online. Preferably automatically, even if I have no cell/internet service on my person.

Find out how to change "run-as" users on my existing docker containers without losing anything! Is there really a danger in them running as root?

If anyone wants to chime in on any of those "to-dos", feel free!

Here are the pics (figured an album is better):

Looks like a really nice server.  How are you liking the Fractal Design Define R5?

"Devise method for booting (wake on LAN?) and starting array upon power coming back online. "

Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but my motherboard has a setting for what to do when power is restored.  Initially I set it to boot automatically.  Later I installed a UPS and set it back to manual boot required.  My thinking was that if things were bad enough to shutdown with a UPS installed I want to be there to monitor the startup.

Looks like a really nice server.  How are you liking the Fractal Design Define R5?

"Devise method for booting (wake on LAN?) and starting array upon power coming back online. "

Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but my motherboard has a setting for what to do when power is restored.  Initially I set it to boot automatically.  Later I installed a UPS and set it back to manual boot required.  My thinking was that if things were bad enough to shutdown with a UPS installed I want to be there to monitor the startup.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it's possible that the power to the mobo will never be lost, since the UPS stays on. I could have it shut the UPS off after shutdown, but will the UPS come back on automatically after power is restored?

Oh, and I DIG the R5... My desktop 2500k I built in 2012 is in a cheap-o case, and now I know the difference. I got the R5 for $50 at Bargain Hunt because it's a little banged up, but it works for me!

I've never seen labeled cables before. That's kinda cool lol

Man that white case is sweet looking.

Thanks!

Yeah, I wanted to be able to know what I was unplugging/plugging-in from either end of the cable. I'm in electrical design at work, so I guess it's second nature for me.