GPU passthrough when using remote connection

Hey, guys!

It's been a while that I've dabbled with unraid last time. I was wondering if there is a way to make a virtual machine(Windows 7, 8.1 or 10) that I could remotely connect to and STILL use gpu acceleration. How could this be done? More accurately, Is it possible to play games, use video editing or do anything alike, just by using some kind of remote connection via ac-wifi? I would like that the server is headless and I could connect to it with my laptop and maybe sometimes from work as well, without it being laggy and choppy.

Hey, guys!

It's been a while that I've dabbled with unraid last time. I was wondering if there is a way to make a virtual machine(Windows 7, 8.1 or 10) that I could remotely connect to and STILL use gpu acceleration. How could this be done? More accurately, Is it possible to play games, use video editing or do anything alike, just by using some kind of remote connection via ac-wifi? I would like that the server is headless and I could connect to it with my laptop and maybe sometimes from work as well, without it being laggy and choppy.

I think LAN Stream Gaming over Gigabit / Fast Wireless sounds like it would work for you.

Have a read from this thread from this post onwards:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47324.msg453525#msg453525

Ignore the fact that I misunderstood what the OP wanted and just read the information.

As for from work, I think you are going to struggle here. You could VPN into the Server and try and stream a game from the PC / Laptop you are using to connect to the VPN BUT I can't imagine that is going to be even remotely quick.

I use this excellent linuxserver.io OpenVPN-AS Docker for my VPN Server:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43317.0

OpenVPN Access Server is a full featured secure network tunneling VPN software solution that integrates OpenVPN server capabilities, enterprise management capabilities, simplified OpenVPN Connect UI, and OpenVPN Client software packages that accommodate Windows, MAC, Linux, Android, and iOS environments. OpenVPN Access Server supports a wide range of configurations, including secure and granular remote access to internal network and/ or private cloud network resources and applications with fine-grained access control.

One of the GREAT benefits of doing this is you ONLY need to open 1 port on your router to facilitate the VPN connection and once connected you can access ALL services that are accessible on your LAN as if you were at home INCLUDING in this instance your Stream Gaming instance. Again NOT sure about speeds though.

Please remember that to facilitate an easy installation of any Docker (or Plugin for that matter - but we haven't talked about Plugins) you should install the Community Applications Plugin:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40262.0

This plugin will allow you to easily search for and add any of the unRaid docker or plugin applications.

Excellent! Thank you very much!

Now that Steam at least is able to stream the games to my client, do you have any idea if the same can be done for Windows desktop for using Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom or video editing? I mean... How fast is that OpenVPN-AS? =) Here in FInland we have pretty good connections but normal upload is only 10Mbps(Not enough?) while download is 100Mbps. Might have to buy some new server components sometime soon.

Last time I tried to passthrough an integrated gpu from AMD A10 chip, which I couldn't get to work... I did get R9 290 to passthrough tho. Eventually I sold all my dektop and server components and bought a laptop for more mobility. Now seeing how far Unraid has come from a year ago, I might start a new project, since I still have the licence that I bought. =)

I see some progress with Intel iGPU passthrough as well... Would be nice to make one virtual machine for HTPC use to connect directly to a video projector or a tv, while the other virtual machine would be just to be used for gaming remotely. SO MANY possibilities......... Nomnomnom! =)

Splashtop desktop allows you to run games video etc remotely from within or outside your local network.

Only problem i have is gaming. As you cant use a game controller with it (remotely) keyboard control of games is okay in some and not so okay in others.

However what i use for streaming right now is moonlight http://moonlight-stream.com/. You do need an nvidea gpu however for this system to work. You can play alll your games with controller or keyboard support. Also you can stream the whole desktop by adding a custom game to gfe    C:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe. Then you start that and stream whole desktop.

You can stream remotely (outside of network) by port forwarding TCP 35043, 47984, 47989, 47995, 47996, 48010

UDP 47998, 47999, 48000, 48010.  I havent tried streaming over internet  myself so dont know how well its works. But locally it's flawless

I would go with Steam maybe. I've got a dual windows steam streaming server running headless that i use for gaming. It's also super easy to hook in non-steam games and most of them work great. Also works the best with NVidia because of the NVFBC drivers

As far as keeping GPU acceleration running, get a Fit Headless HDMI dongle. I use these for steam streaming and they've been great, $15 mocks a 1080p monitor. Also have a 4k version for a bit more

As already mentioned you should stick with Steam and VPN.

I´ve already compared steam and nvidia shield in combination with moonlight. (on my unfinished gaming/NAS rig)

Actual there seems to be some problems with .h264 hardware decoding on the moonlight pc/mac/linux client as mentioned on their release notes:

https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-pc/releases

Please report any broken functionality. Performance will vary by PC. Streaming 1080p at 60 FPS requires a somewhat powerful CPU since decoding is done in software. This port is not nearly as functional or high performance as other Moonlight clients.

After they have solved this issue i´ll give it another try.