Mobo and CPU Recommendation

I'm thinking of upgrading my server, what mob and CPU would you recommend?  Mine is about 5 years old.  I run SAB, Couch, Sonarr, Plex and soon ZoneMinder.  You can see what I currently have in my sig below.  Everything is currently running fine but would like more power and ram for future things I may add.  What would you guys recommend?  I like Intel and SuperMicro

I'm thinking of upgrading my server, what mob and CPU would you recommend?  Mine is about 5 years old.  I run SAB, Couch, Sonarr, Plex and soon ZoneMinder.  You can see what I currently have in my sig below.  Everything is currently running fine but would like more power and ram for future things I may add.  What would you guys recommend?  I like Intel and SuperMicro

What type of CPU power requirements do you have?  That is how much transcoding do you need to do on a regular basis?  Also what kind of budget are you working with?

I currently have a full ATX, also need IPMI, and prefer onboard video.

I'd probably go for one of the new Xeon E3 v5 chips and a SuperMicro C236 board if you nee full ATX.

This combo would be nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3RH8236

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182994

However SuperMicro offers a lot more MicroATX options then they do Full ATX so if you're willing to go smaller you can either go with a MicroATX C236 board or even one of the new Xeon D FlexATX boards that just came out (more expensive but much lower power and great onboard features).

What mobo would you suggest for one of these bad boys?  also how much of a difference do you think I will see from what I currently have?

It's going to give you about double the transcoding performance of what you have now.  Check the comparison in this link.  It's for the D-1520 as there is no results for the 1518 yet but it will have very similar results.  Also included a Xeon E3-1220 v5 as that's another good option if you don't care about power/heat/noise.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=2662&cmp%5B%5D=9&cmp%5B%5D=2692

One of the nice things about the new Xeon D boards is you can get them with a nice on board LSI controller for connection up to 16 drives to it.  Add the 4 onboard SATA ports and you've got the ability to connect 20 drives to this board natively.  Pretty sweet.

If you don't need the onboard LSI controller or the SFP+ ports for 10gig down the line, you can go for one of the mini-ITX boards with either the D-1521 (quad core), D-1528 (6-core) or D-1541 (8-core) for even better performance.

The E3 seems to be the best for the money, $200 on newegg I think.  But I guess I can't use the new boards with that one. I like having 16 drives on the board and no add on cards needed. Might wait till Amazon or newegg get these in and see what they are asking.

Yes you will get a little better performance out of the E3 for the price.  If top performance is what you're after with no thoughts to power/heat/noise concerns you should indeed go with an E3 chip and an 1151 board.  You'll just have to add your own HBA after the fact if you need more than 8 drives connected.

As for the pricing of the Xeon D boards, you can check the price of the current boards on Newegg and you'll see they are actually higher than what WiredZone sells them for.  WiredZone is basically a SuperMicro reseller.  I've bought a ton of items from them.  They are great merchant in case you have any reservations about them.

Checked the sites but don't see the boards on either site

I was referring to the first wave of Xeon D boards that were released such as the 1520 board.  Here is the prices on both sites as you can see Newegg is slightly more expensive.

Newegg - SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard

WiredZone - X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard

Here is the D-1518 board with the onboard LSI controller on WiredZone.  I know it says Out of Stock but all the new Xeon D boards say that because they literally JUST came out and when you order one they put you in a queue and they drop ship it directly from SuperMicro.  I purchased 3 Xeon D boards from them last week that were "out of stock" and 2 shipped on Thursday and the third is scheduled to ship this Thursday.

WOW, that's awesome.  So I just need RAM since my power supply should work correct and guess I don't need a CPU fan.

Thank you, now I need to go back and look at what you suggested.  I like these FLEX D boards, the 16 sas connectors are awesome.

Yea they are sweet.  I have two of these boards being delivered today (with D-1537's on them) and another one (D-1518) next week so I'll post some pics if you want.

As for the CPU cooling, yes most are passively cooled but you'll want to be sure you have airflow over the heatsink.

Pics would be great.  As for cooling I have a Norco 4220 case with 5 fans cooling everything thing. Think I have 3 90mm in the front pulling air in over the HDs and 2 80mm in the back blow the air out.  I think that should be fine.

How much was the 1537?

The D-1537's weren't cheap.

http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-components-motherboards-embedded-processor-x10sdv-7tp4f-10025890

P.S.  You can checkout my build log as I'm doing an entire home network overhaul right now including these boards.

[build Log] FINAL Bachelor Splurge - New Server Rack Build - Goodbye $$$