unRAID has came so far over the years...

tyrindor

Has anyone just sat back and thought "Holy crap, unRAID has came so far?".

I started using this back in v3. It wasn't very user friendly, the interface sucked, there were lots of small bugs and glitches i'd encountered. There was no VM, no plugins, any modifications were generally pretty hard to install. Community wasn't very active yet, so help was much harder to get. Even the website felt very basic. Now... everything is such a breeze. The UI is quick and snappy, plugins and updating is very user friendly, so many more things you can do, even the website is great.

Between my roommate and I we're running four servers totally over 200TB of data. I showcased these servers on a popular forum during v4 years when unRAID was still not very popular. When I deleted my thread, it had over 10,000 replies and over half a million views. I won't go into details on why I deleted the thread (other than it got waaay too popular to keep advertising it), but I like to think I played a small part in getting unRAID out there and helping make it what it has become today.

This software is amazing, I honestly don't know what I'd do without it.

Well without unRAID, you would probably be rockin Windows Vista with some external drives :)

All joking aside, I own many unRAID plus and pro licenses. I've looked at unRAID many times over the years and finally took the plunge with V6.1 due to the awesome GUI that just makes it stupid simple. I'm playing with dual parity on 6.2 but the parity didn't bring me to unRAID nor did the dockers or VM. I don't even run parity on all my servers as I have identical complete backups in chassis in my rack. I looked at all the usual options and wanted a NAS OS that was easy to navigate, easy to set up for a Windows guy and a helpful community if I had issues. Yes the other main NAS OS's  are free and no fictitious drive limits, but unRAID sold me on the simple, easy to use GUI. Love the way it presents the most relevant information on one page. Monitors my smart data, shows my drive temps, pools all my drives together.

So although I came to unRAID for different reasons than most, the fact is, I'm here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived