New Member, New Build, New Questions!

acropora

Hi all!

Currently looking into unRAID for as my server solution for mainly hosting and streaming PLEX. I am not extremely versed with computers (I've only gone as far as building and some basic trouble shooting) and have a tiny bit of experience with linux (Ubuntu, just to try) but I've decided that this may be the OS to use given that I want to segregate my current PLEX server away from my current every day computer. Given unRAIDs support for Dockers, it seems like a worthy transition but wanted to see the boards thoughts on how to best build this new server and move the data over. This PC will be housed in my room temporarily and will eventually be moved into the living room to double as a HTPC (just to play media through PLEX).

My current system is currently running with a plethora of hard drives (with various HDDs, hence the desire to use unRAID as opposed to a traditional raid. I'll be migrating over all the hard drives (besides my SSD which will still on my original system) over so I'm curious of the best way to approach this as I know I'll have to reformat every drive before it goes into the new array.

The storage capacity is as seen:

HDD1: 1.74/1.81 TB used (external, to be taken out of case and installed internally)

HDD2:  1.06/2.72 TB used (external, to be taken out of case and installed internally)

HDD3: 5.02/5.45 TB used (internal, assumed to be parity drive as it's the biggest hard drive I have)

HDD4: 1.88/3.63 TB used (internal)

HDD5: 0.88/3.63 TB used (internal)

As of right now, there have been no parts bought for the server besides the case and the hard drives above:

Case: NZXT H440

I'm contemplating the following:

PSU: Undecided (leaning towards something with around 550 watts, GOLD+, semi-modular)

MB: Undecided

CPU: Undecided (leaning towards i5-6400~, enough for 3 streams but would be open to something stronger)

CPU Coolers: Stock (unless it's too noisy for the living room)

RAM: 8-16GB

GPU: None (onboard?)

Cache Drives: 1x 250~GB SSD (or maybe 2x250 or 1x500~, not sure, thoughts?)

USB Drive: Sandisk Cruzer 16GB

Any suggestions, thoughts, or comments welcome! Thank you!

Hi -

I think you're really going to like unRAID.  Here are some thoughts on your build:

• Since you're familiar with Plex, you'll know that Plex has both server and player components.  Typically Plex Server is installed as a Docker on unRAID 6+.  In order to use your unRAID server as an HTPC, though, you'd need to run a Player as well - perhaps in a Windows VM.  That's worth thinking through as it changes your plans.  As an example I use Plex server on unRAID and Roku boxes as players.
  • The basic Plex transcoding rule of thumb is 2,000 Passmarks per 1080p stream.  In case you haven't run across it yet, though - that's entirely dependent on the source media and the capabilities of the players.  High bit rate full Blu Ray rips require a lot more horsepower to transcode than Handbrake encoded H.264 files.  I've maxed out my 4,000 Passmark CPU on a BD rip.  So, think about your media and number of concurrent streams as you plan for how much CPU headroom you'll need.
  • For the PSU 550w is probably fine unless you need to power a big GPU (see the HTPC comments).
  • 8GB is probably fine for basic NAS duties, dockers, and Plex.  You'll want 16GB if you start spooling up VMs, though.  And RAM is cheap so 16GB is probably what I'd put in a new machine, just because :).
  • If you go the HTPC route there are limitations passing in onboard video to a VM, check that out before you decide whether you need a GPU or not.
  • If you go the HTPC/GPU route (you're basically building two PCs in one, using unRAID virtualization) then you'll need a motherboard and processor that support IOMMU or VT-d.
  • Stocker coolers usually move enough air, but "quiet "is subjective.  I'd start by evaluating the case fans first, then look at upgrading the CPU cooler if necessary.
  • 250GB is usually plenty for a cache drive when you are using it for applications (people don't actually cache writes to the array that much these days - it tends to be more of an application drive for Dockers, VMs, and their data).  2x250GB would allow you to use a BTRFS cache pool and have redundancy in your cache.

Regarding the strategy for data... It looks to me like you don't have enough disk space after you set aside the 6TB drive for parity.  Therefore, I'd buy another data disk as a first step - 6TB preferred but 4TB would do.  Then, I'd start by getting the unRAID server up and running with the new data disk - no parity to start.  Copy the contents of the 0.88/3TB drive to the unRAID server, then migrate it into the unRAID array.  Then do the same with the 1.88/3TB drive.  You've now got an array with lots of capacity and it's ready to take the data from the 5.02/6TB drive.

At this point you can either add the 6TB disk as parity or complete the data migration from the 2TB and 3TB drives.  If you wait to add parity last you'll get much faster write speeds to the array in the meantime.  Your data won't be protected until you add parity, though!  Personally I'd wait until the last thing assuming you have your data backed up elsewhere (or it is easily replaceable).

Two things to look into are the Unassigned Devices plugin and the Preclear plugin.  Unassigned Devices allows you to mount foreign disks in your unRAID server so you have the option of plugging your current drives into the new server, rather than copying across the network.  The Preclear Plugin allows you to preclear the drives for unRAID - basically zeroing them out and vastly speeding the process of adding them to the array once the preclear is complete.

Ok, that's a lot of info!  I'm going to stop now and see if any of it makes sense ;).  Please feel free to post questions, there are lots of helpful people here.

Hi -

I think you're really going to like unRAID. 

Thanks for the thorough response! I've read enough to figure out that I'm going the docker route (one of the big reasons to switch for me as I use CP, Sonnar, PlexPy, PlexRequest, etc.). My thoughts were initially to run something  that would play them directly from the HDMI out of the motherboard (assuming there is one) but it looks as if passing video through onboard may be an issue so I'll look into it.

Couple things in response to your other points

• Given that I try to have most of my users stream original when possible, I typically don't transcode more than 2-3 streams at a time. Given this, I was leaning towards a 6000-7000 passmark cpu (a la i5-6400~ or so) but now that you say BR rips take more to transcode no the fly, it's concerning. Maybe I'll go with something stronger but I'm attempting to keep this budget relatively tight
  • PSU 550-650 seems to be a lock. If I were to get an extra GPU, it would strictly be for HTPC media play back (something like a passive Nvidia 720)
  • Ram is cheap, 8 or 16 will be the target
  • Do newer MBS and processors typically support IOMMU or VT-D?
  • On the topic of cache, from my understanding, those who use it typically purchase them and use Mover to send files to the array once per day, lessening the usage of the HDDs. Given that this will primarily be used for PLEX, is there a section of the cache drive I can assign not to be transferred over to the array? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in having fast loading movie/tv posters and not limiting the fluidity with a traditional HDD. Would I need to purchase one cache drive and one separate drive to hold apps/dockers/plugins? 
  • What's the benefit of BTRFS cache pool other than redundancy? Does a 2x250gb assume 250gb usable, like a RAID1?

Appreciate the suggestions on migrating the data. I am considering purchasing a 6tb but they're extremely pricey. I was lucky enough to get my HGST for $180 but I doubt a deal like that is coming around any time soon. 4TB seems to be the sweet spot right now as they sell at Frys on the occasional sale for $95 after tax (5900rpm but should be fine for this situation, right?). Those plugins also look super useful. I will be using them shortly once more parts come in.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. Thanks again!

If you are looking at 6TB drives then it is worth pointing out that the Seagate 8TB Archive drives work well with the typical unRAID usage pattern as a media server and are also typically cheaper than 6TB drives.  I now have several in my system - 2 as parity drives (I am using 6.2 beta with dusk parity) and a couple as array data drives.

• Do newer MBS and processors typically support IOMMU or VT-D? Lots of processors do, and it's becoming more common on motherboards.  It's not a safe assumption, though - it's still best to plan out whether you need it and then make sure the components have it.
  • On the topic of cache, from my understanding, those who use it typically purchase them and use Mover to send files to the array once per day, lessening the usage of the HDDs. Given that this will primarily be used for PLEX, is there a section of the cache drive I can assign not to be transferred over to the array? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in having fast loading movie/tv posters and not limiting the fluidity with a traditional HDD. Would I need to purchase one cache drive and one separate drive to hold apps/dockers/plugins? unRAID has the concept of a "cache-only" user share, which causes the files in it to be located only on the cache drive.  The common approach is to create an "appdata" user share and set it cache-only.  Then, the docker image and all docker data directories are placed there.  Mover doesn't move the files in a cache-only share.  You can also use Unassigned Devices to mount an SSD outside the array for Plex, but I find using the cache drive as an application drive works well.
  • What's the benefit of BTRFS cache pool other than redundancy? Does a 2x250gb assume 250gb usable, like a RAID1? Redundancy is the main reason unRAID users are using it, though there are other benefits (as well as some downsides).  With two drives I'm fairly sure it's effectively RAID 1.  Another strategy is to use a single SSD and backup your applications to the array periodically.

Also, I forgot to mention in my last post - make sure the PSU has a single 12v rail, that works much better for unRAID.

If you are looking at 6TB drives then it is worth pointing out that the Seagate 8TB Archive drives work well with the typical unRAID usage pattern as a media server and are also typically cheaper than 6TB drives.  I now have several in my system - 2 as parity drives (I am using 6.2 beta with dusk parity) and a couple as array data drives.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I've seen those around. Seems like it would be a good party drive. I'll consider using it as opposed to using my current 6TB but my budget is slowly being blown out here!

Also, I forgot to mention in my last post - make sure the PSU has a single 12v rail, that works much better for unRAID.

I hear you. Leaning towards just running one SSD right now due to budget constraints but I see your point. I've never had a broken SSD (knock on wood) but I think it'll be alright. 250x2 would be a steep dive right now inf I needed to add on another 6TB hard drive for the parity. Could you expand on the benefits and downsides (or have a link to something?). I've read that there COULD be benefits (other than redundancy) but in the real world, they aren't discernible.