AFP, SMB or NFS using Mac

It really depends which version of OS X you're using as to whether SMB might be a better choice than AFP. Remember that not all Intel Macs can be upgraded beyond Lion. With Mountain Lion or earlier you're probably better off with AFP. With Yosemite or later you might be better off with SMB. With Mavericks... well, it's probably best to avoid Mavericks! If you want to use unRAID as a Time Machine destination you need to use AFP anyway. NFS is a bit more fiddly to set up (meaning you can't just browse and click in the Finder but have to use the Connect to server menu and type nfs://tower.local/mnt/user/share_name) but it works pretty well with all OS X versions I've tried. Sorry I can't give a definitive answer because, as ever, YMMV.

The first thing to look at is the version of unraid you are using, Mac functionality has improved for me with every incremental step up I've taken. Although I haven't been using the 6.2betas, I've been holding off on beta software this time.

YMMV, but I have been using SMB for file sharing since Yosemite, and it's been flawless. I use AFP for my TimeMachine share only, and that works well now (I think AFP was updated in 6.1).