Increased VM disk size, but Cache disk space used is wrong in GUI main tab

theGrok

Hi,

I have a 480GB SSD as my cache disk. I have a windows VM & a few dockers running on it. My vdisk share is marked as Cache Only. I recently increased my VDISK size form 25GB to 75GB. This shows up fine in the VM tab as well as within Windows.

When I go in the main tab however, my cache disk shows only 47GB used even though my docker is 15GB and my VM is 75GB. I can't quite figure out why that would be.

Any ideas?

I am running 6.1.9 Plus

maintab.JPG.5e2a4f3b92480483e7fb522c5157f7ff.JPG

shares.JPG.59848491337de63d1b4c1601b2945cbb.JPG

vmtab.JPG.523501a99ddad3c596352d6e4b47a00a.JPG

When I go in the main tab however, my cache disk shows only 47GB used even though my docker is 15GB and my VM is 75GB. I can't quite figure out why that would be.

Any ideas?

The VM image is a sparse file, and only uses whatever space is occupied inside the VM. Be careful you don't accidentally run out of space, whatever you copy to the VM disk will occupy additional space on the cache drive.

Any ideas?

The VM image is a sparse file, and only uses whatever space is occupied inside the VM. Be careful you don't accidentally run out of space, whatever you copy to the VM disk will occupy additional space on the cache drive.

Ok, so if I understand correctly, when I tell the VDISK to be 75GB it doesn't actually reserve the space for the VM? Any unused space is available to anything writing to the cache drive?

Any ideas?

Ok, so if I understand correctly, when I tell the VDISK to be 75GB it doesn't actually reserve the space for the VM? Any unused space is available to anything writing to the cache drive?

Yep. From the VM's point of view, there is 75GB of available space, but until the VM actually fills that space, it's still available on the cache drive. If this behavior is not what you want, you can force the image file to take up the full amount of space.

Any ideas?

Yep. From the VM's point of view, there is 75GB of available space, but until the VM actually fills that space, it's still available on the cache drive. If this behavior is not what you want, you can force the image file to take up the full amount of space.

Thanks for clearing that up. How do you force the image to take the space?

• 1 year later...

Archived